C H A P T E R - E L E V E N

§

The group looked at each other once again, hoping somebody would step up, which is exactly what happened. Jackson wasn't really afraid, and he knew that he would be able to fight any effects that occurred in the attic. He was strong enough.

"So no other volunteers?" Trevor asked. Everybody else stayed silent.

"How about Teony?" Marisa piped up. "She's smart, and would be very helpful in helping get the next clue." Teony held her breath, nervous that the others would go along with Marisa.

"She's already risked her life for us once, it seems unfair to put her through it again,” said Fox, who was still cold and shaking. Teony smiled at him, glad that somebody had her back and that she finally had a close friend at Ashwock.

"Fox is right," said Rafe. "Teony and him had already done something risky to help us. It's not right to make them do it again."

"Maybe Marisa should," said Raven. She gasped.

"Me? Why me?"

"Honestly, none of this would have happened if you hadn't said the incantation."

"It was an accident, how many times do I have to say that?"

"Seriously, guys, stop hating on Marisa, she's in the same situation as all of us," said Teony, starting to get a little annoyed.

By each second of arguing, everybody grew more and more tense. They have already fought so much that it seemed like nobody had anybody's back anymore. Tired of it, Fletcher walked away and stood next to Jackson. No, he didn't want to go into the attic, but he realized that he would be forced to do something like that eventually, or the students would turn their back on him, like they did with Marisa and Fox in the beginning.

"Fletcher?" Ella asked, nervous. Everybody turned to look at him, a little shocked. He nodded, trying to look brave, even if he was really terrified on the inside.

"Well, we have two down," said Damien.

"I still think Marisa should," Raven said. "She put us in this situation, it's only fair if she helps us get out of it."

"That is a good point," said Rafe. She looked at Marisa. "I'm sorry, but I agree with Raven." Everybody else nodded.

Marisa gasped, and realized that they would force her to go to the attic, even if she didn't want to. They had a strong enough argument against her, and there was nothing she could do to change that. And now she had to show them that she was truly on their side, or who knows what would happen to her.

"Okay, then," Ella started. She walked over to Jackson and handed him the map, wearing a worried face as well. "Once you are finished, meet us in the sitting room."

“Okay,” Fletcher agreed, nodding. He held his breath, knowing that nothing good has ever happened by separating from the group. Everytime somebody did or almost died, and he didn't want it to happen again, and especially not him.

“Good luck,” said Teony. She went over to them and tapped their shoulders. “You’ve got this.”

“Thanks, Teony,” Marisa smiled a fake smile. The others told them supportive statements and they continued their fake smiles, even if Jackson’s was somewhat genuine, and Marisa, Fletcher and Jackson walked out first with the map. The others followed out, but the trio soon switched paths, looking nervously at them before they left completely.

“Okay,” Jackson started, tracing the path with his finger. “so this map says that the attic should be on the fourth floor. We just have to walk up there, right?”