C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y - S E V E N

*above is a song that I think fits the end of the story*

§

The four didn't know how long they were down in the basement. Maybe it was five minutes, maybe it was ten. Maybe it was a whole day. No matter how long, it didn't seem like enough. But they needed to leave that school as soon as possible.

"Fletcher," Raven asked quietly. "you ready?" He hesitated, then, Fletcher took his hands away from his face and looked up at the three, nodding slightly. He stood up, wiping his puffy red eyes a few more times before he left them alone.

"We have three of the keys," Teony said. "now we just need the fourth." All four of them stood up, far away from the two bodies. They couldn't stand being near them.

"Actually," Trevor started, digging in his pocket and pulling out a key. "we have all four."

All three of them gaped as he showed them the rusty metal. "But-but how?" Raven stuttered, still in shock.

"Well," He started to explain. "I felt around in Mr. Barla's pockets a little more, and felt something oddly shaped. I pulled it out and knew it was the last key that we were looking for, so I kept it."

It was a moment before anyone else spoke, because instead of speaking, Fletcher smiled at him a little, changing his expression from sad to relieved.

"Thank you," He said. He didn't know why or what for, but he felt like it needed to be said.

Trevor smiled back, but didn't say anything. Instead, he pulled out another key and put it in the same hand. Fletcher took out the other two and held them firmly in his hand, not wanting to let go of them.

"

Let's get the hell out of here," Trevor said, and the others couldn't agree anymore than they did. They walked away from the dead end and back down the tunnels, all of them looking straight forward except Teony, who made occasional glances at Raven.

Finally, they entered the main room of the tunnels. They didn't spend much time there, instead going straight to the ladder. They were glad that it was still there, even though they didn't know how it wouldn't be. Perhaps it was just paranoia after the events they went through.

Teony was the first one up. Trevor helped hold the rope steady at the bottom, as he did for the other two students as well. When it was his turn, he climbed up as far as he had to without support and when Fletcher's hand could finally reach his, he helped him the rest of the way up.

Trevor took his last step up the ladder and onto the solid first floor. He stepped all the way out, and slammed the trapdoor, as if it were going to bite him if he kept it open any longer. The students didn't hesitate to leave the room, and made their way towards the door.

Raven and Trevor crashed into the door, unable to control their speed. Fletcher and Teony caught up with them and Trevor passed Fletcher his two keys and they stepped out of the way so that he could slide them in.

But he didn't.

"Fletcher, what's wrong?" Raven asked.

"They aren't working," He explained, showing them how he tried to jam them in but they wouldn't fit.

"None of them?" She asked, and Fletcher nodded.

"Well this is great," Trevor said, throwing his hands up in the air. He hadn't understood what Fletcher and the girls had said but he saw the fact that none of the keys were fitting.

"Guys?" Teony said, and when the three looked over they saw that she was on the ground, pulling one of the bricks near the door out of the floor and revealing four keys that she gave to Trevor.

"We've had all of the keys the whole time," Fletcher said in shock as the keys slipped into Trevor's open hand.

"Nobody had to die," Raven said, awe struck. "We could have left right after Jessica was murdered, along with Fox, Rum, Marisa, Rafe, Jackson, and Damien."

Trevor sighed, thinking of being able to go home and bringing his best friend with him. It angered him, how all of their innocent lives could have been spared. But no, they were too stupid to look in the most obvious place, and it was all their fault.  Trevor slide the four keys into the holes, almost cringing as he felt the clicking vibration of the lock opening.

He hesitated. It seemed like he had been in that Academy forever, and couldn't remember life without it. What would it be like to finally go home after all that has changed him?

After a long pause, he pushed on the shiny wood and felt a cool breeze hit his body.

The four students looked at each other before Fletcher took the first step out, stretching his body in the warm Setember air. Raven was next, and then Teony. They held hands, both of their other ones held up into the air. They were relieved to be safe and free again, and just couldn't hold it in.

Trevor let out a large breath as he watched his three friends enjoying outside and decided that he was ready. He closed his eyes, taking a step out of Ashwock and closing the door behind him. As he heard the thud of the wooden door shutting, his heart pounded against his chest but then sunk again, this time feeling much more at ease. That was it. The pain and fear was finally over.

Fletcher looked over to Trevor, waiting for him to catch up before continuing. They didn't need to speak to communicate, their expressions said it all. Fletcher could tell that Trevor had mixed emotions, and Trevor could tell the same thing about Fletcher.

"We'll be okay," Fletcher said, trying to sound comforting not only to Trevor but to himself as well.

Trevor nodded a little. He knew they would, even if it would take time.

The girls looked back at the boys, stopping their frolicking at the bend in the road, and, once they were up there, walked beside them.

They all knew that they weren't going to heal over night. It would take time to forget what happened during those two days at Ashwock Academy. Actually, no. They didn't want to forget. They couldn't loose their friends a second time by forgetting. They held onto their memories with a firm grip as they walked down the road, sure that they wouldn't let them go. They had changed them. They were a part of them now.

Finally, the group took another turn and couldn't see the school anymore. It was a weight off of their shoulders, and they wrapped their arms around each other from the side, walking the rest of the way down in each other's arms.

And as they walked further and further down the sidewalk, they walked further and further away from the Academy, unable to see it vanishing from ceiling to floor and moving onto to a new location.

But right then, it didn't matter.

THE END

§

A/N

That's it. It's all over.

It has been a fantastic journey. I love all of the characters that you have given me and all of the comments and support that were spread among this story you don't even know.

I hope you have enjoyed this book, because I know I have enjoyed writing it.

BTW Shoutout to TwentyOneMarauders, since her theory about the keys not working was indeed correct.

And for the last time in this book, thank you for reading.

-Puffin ❤