Chapter 1

The sky hung heavy with saturated grey clouds, strung out like bunting across the park. You gazed upwards warily, knowledgeable of the telltale signs.

Anticipating rain, you quickened your pace wanting to hurry on with your daily morning walk. Behind you, a great big Newfoundland dog plodded along amicably, its tongue lolling at the side of its mouth. 

"Come on," you called to it, slowing slightly, "I don't want you to miss out on your walk, and I know you love the rain, only..." You sighed. "You're a nightmare to dry when wet!"

A few passing dog walkers murmured in sympathy. As you turned to smile awkwardly at them, you heard a low rumble erupt from the heavens. "Ah!" Flinching, you quickly vowed to end your walk early, and turned back to break the news to your dog.

He was gone.

You panicked. You knew your big silly doggo didn't usually move that fast! "Where..." You spun around, twice, maybe three times, scanning the area. And when that failed you calmly walked towards the willow tree, guessing your dog might've wandered there. And when that failed, you broke into a run, bee-lining to the lake because - well, he might have jumped in! Alas, that failed too. Your dog was nowhere to be found.

The clouds mocked you and chucked a few raindrops at your face, spitefully.

Just as you were about to collapse onto the grass and breakdown for a bit, you heard it. A memorable voice, not too far from where you were standing.

"Oh, 'ello... big ...doggie."

You jogged towards the voice, past a few trees and into a wide patch of incredibly tall grass. something- someone - stuck out like a heatwave in December. A tall, thin man with a boyish face and striking azure hair. He was petting a dog - your dog. Its goofy face emerged from the cover of the thick grass, explaining why you couldn't find him. So, you resolved, he hadn't gone far at all.

"WHALE!" 

You yelled in relief, diving to the ground to hug your dog. Just as you did, a huge wave of thunder broke the sky in half and the rain poured down in bucketloads. Unbothered, you beamed up at the stranger. "Thank you for finding him." You squinted through wet eyelashes and already soaking strands of hair, still clinging to your dog.

But the man, he was in a state. His face was one of intense terror, in fact, you wondered if it was just rain or tears streaming from his eyes. He trembled, backing away, stumbling over himself in the grass. "Wh-wh-wh-wha-what d'yew m-mean..whale?" 

"That's my dog. Whale. You know, on account of his size. And he loves water." You laughed and looked adoringly at your dog who had thrown his head back to try and drink the rain.

The mans eyes were wide as dish plates as he continued to back away, even faster. Finally freeing himself from the grass, he tumbled to the floor. "Ow- agh!" he squeaked, seeing you get up to follow him. "I'll never come 'ere again! I-I can never escape, can I?! OH Why ME whYMeThisIsNtFaiR!" He wailed sorrowfully, scrambling to his feet.

"Wait, let me he-" you protested, but with a blinding flash of lightning and a deafening rumble of thunder, the odd man had disappeared. "Strange," you thought, as you stood in the middle of the park, wet, grassy, and in the pouring rain. "That was... strange." 

Whale simply tilted his head and flopped onto his back, sending water everywhere.