Chapter 7

Things weren't the same after that.

"Say, [Y/n]?" You and Stuart had been walking for some time, across narrow streets and around dingy buildings, searching for Whale.

"Yeah?"

"Who is," he hesitated. "Who is Dr Fisher?"

You felt your blood turn cold. You carried on walking without looking at him, trying to act nonchalant. You hadn't thought you would reveal something so personal to someone you had barely spent a day with.

Guess you're just full of surprises.

"No one important." You assured him, looking at the muddy sky.

"But, but, after all we've bin through-"

"I said no one!" You snapped, turning to face him. "How would you like it if I started asking about, oh I don't know, this Murdoc guy you mentioned before?"

Stuart looked taken aback. "Me? No, huh, wha' did I say about 'im?" His usually vacant expression turned sour. "Well, 'e's no secret a mine but... I'd jus' rather yew stay away from 'im." He scuffed the ground with his shoe, hands in his pockets.

"That, my friend, puts us in the same boat."

Stuart said nothing. He watched your retreating figure as you turned and resumed walking. 

"Wanna play a game?" You called to him after some time. In a second, he was by your side, smiling once again. You couldn't help but chuckle.

A while later, you were both laughing so hard you were in stitches. Having decided to stop and rest after decades of trudging around the area, you were perched on a brick wall with Stu leaning against it, his elbows resting on the surface near your hands. With you sat at this height and him simply standing, you were taller than him at last.

"How about 'em?" He said quietly, leaning closer to you. 

"W-well! lets see." You replied quickly, scouring the area to see what he was talking about. 

Across the street from you, coming around the corner was a family of four. The dad was storming moodily along, seemingly ignoring the others. The mother was trailing at the back, struggling to keep up with her two kids who were ahead of her. She opened and closed her mouth endlessly, flailing her hands at her kids like a fish out of water. The two children were uncomfortably sandwiched between their parents, one had a Cheshire smile plastered on his face whilst the other looked as though she were having midlife crisis at the age of 5.

"Oh hurr durr hurr, boo hoo." Stu deepened his voice as the dad opposite you stomped down the street. "No one understands golf like I do!"

You snickered and turned your attention to the mum, giving her a squeaky voice.

"Honey please, using the kids as targets isn't golf!"

Stu stifled his laughter. Just then the dad turned to speak to his family, giving Stu an opportunity. "But DARLENE, how would YEW know anythink?! Yew neva even look at the PAMPHLETS I give you!"

You snorted. The mum finally caught up to her children and bent down to hold them close.

"Oh kids cover your ears, not the pamphlets not the pamphlets!" You fake cried.

Stu was laughing outright now. He put on a miserable voice for the sad kid. "Fatha, why 'ave yew forsaken us? Now Brian finks you're a golf millionaire, 'e tried to buy a holiday mansion off Ebay."

The sad kid was supposedly sniffling, she pointed an accusing finger at her grinning sibling. The father didn't seem to be doing much about it.

"Also, 'e stole your wallet." Stu added.

The father jumped into action and began to scold the smiley kid, finger wagging and all.

You responded with an exaggerated New York accent for the smug kid. "Pamphlets, pop? The only paper I need is them green dollar bills! Bada bing bada boom, that's business baby!"

Stuart was howling with laughter, his head almost resting on your shoulder.

The father took the hand of the smiley one and promptly began to walk with them.

"HEY!" You continued speaking as the kid, watching the family totter around the second corner and out of view. "I'M WALKIN' HERE!"

Stuart was in hysterics. He stood leaning at an angle so his hair tickled your nose. You noticed the faint smell of butterscotch.

"I told you it'd be more fun than I Spy." You grinned, hopping down from the wall.

"Wha' next?" He asked eagerly, standing upright. His dark eyes seemed to glow with enthusiasm. "20 questions? Would yew rather? Never have I ever?"

You walked a couple paces before responding. "Actually," you began, rounding the corner of the street with a flourish. "Here is my home."

Stuart stared at the residential area in awe. The neighborhood wasn't exactly Hollywood, but it looked fit for a queen compared to the maze of pigeon ravaged streets you and him had just escaped from. Quaint little houses lined up in rows, many with washing lines of colourful garments swaying in the breeze like streamers. One garden had a marble bird bath. Another, a perfectly crafted horse shaped hedge.

"Its a quiet area built for the elderly. The garbage men assume whoever lives at my place is probably pushing ninety, so they take my bins out of my garden for me! That rocks." You laughed. "Oh and that," you nodded towards the horse hedge as you and Stu passed it. "Is Mr Butler's pride and joy."

"Brilliant!" Stu remarked, happily. "It looks jus' like a real T-Rex!"

"Its... it's a horse. Ah I cant with you." You smiled, face-palming.

Your smile soon faded as you acknowledged your reasons for coming here.

"I thought Whale might've made it back. If he isn't here, I honestly don't know where else to look."

"Uh, [y/n]?" Stuart said, but you weren't done.

"My poor baby, my best friend,"

"[Y/n], listen!"

"Yes, oh knowledgeable Mr. Pot?" You said jokingly. "Please interrupt my sob story to bestow your wisdom upon me!"

Stu grinned and pointed to a house about two houses up. "Is tha' your home?"

Was it that obvious?  You wondered. On second thought, your front door which you had painted your [favourite colour] wasn't exactly inconspicuous against everyone else's door, which were muted shades of your [least favourite colour].

"Because look, there's somefink there."

Your eyes widened as you noticed the dark and ominous creature lurking in your garden. It had a slimy sheen to its coat, reminiscent of seaweed. Behind it there was a trail of murky looking water, revealing the path it had taken to get in. The beast was staring, fixedly at your door. Still as a statue. It hadn't noticed you yet.

Beside you, you felt Stu tense up.

You broke the silence. "OH ReLaX!" Your overjoyed voice wavered, overcome with emotion. "Who else would it be?! THats mY boy!"

At the sound of your voice, one dripping wet Whale jumped up. Ears upright, tail wagging. And out the open gate he bounded, shooting like a canon ball straight towards you and Stuart.

"Here buddy!"

"Agh not Whales!" 

"Eugh, have you been in the lake?!"

There came happy barking, followed by a crash and the sweet sound of your laughter.