Chapter 18

"Heres the deal, 'D, a strange girl with a hound the size of Texas, lingering around here? Around you? Around us? Spells trouble to me." Russel talked low, never taking his eyes off you and Whale.

Stuart frowned. His frown only worsened into a full blown scowl when he witnessed the scene in front of him unfold further - Murdoc began to get cocky with you.

"Aw 'eck, what's wrong love? Got a lil boo boo on your nose? Is it a bit swollen? Poor poppet." Murdoc threw back his head and cackled a cackle so vile it made the sound of Whale puking up some bad dog food seem like music. He then lurched forward, diving his face closer to you than before. An annoyed Noodle was blocked from your view, replaced by a close up of Murdoc's smug face. You could see every pore on his nose, every crease in his lips. You tried desperately to lean away, but found your back was forced as far against the wall as it could go.

"Feh. I'm certain you'll live. I've 'ad mine done in eight times now, five of 'em thanks to this baldy over 'ere." He shot Russel a sideways glance. Russel subtly grinding his teeth was enough to make Murdoc tense up and lose focus for a precious second. You used this as your opportunity to slide away, scooting across the chairs. Murdoc stood straight and analyzed you with an amused smirk.

With Whale by your side, you wordlessly stood, turned and walked carefully towards the door, thinking it'd be better if you just left now. Your head was pounding. Your mouth was dry as the Sahara, and what little moisture it had was blood. Your nose didn't even feel like your nose anymore, but some sort of random adornment that had been skewered into your skin. You needed to rest.

You reached for the door's handle, fingers resting around the cool metal. You applied a little pressure, and tugged.

Murdoc slammed his claw onto the door, stopping it from being opened.

"Ey, ey! Not so fast!" He laughed, enjoyment twinkling in his eyes. "What? You thought you could leave without paying for the damn book you ruined?"

"Let her leave if she wants to leave." Noodle hissed, rising from her seat.

Stuart's hand tightened around the edge of the table. He said something. But nobody heard him. He was mentioning the words 'song' and 'concert'. He said it louder, something along the lines of: 'Please. I promised you'. Still, nobody heard.

You looked with exhaustion down at Murdoc's outstretched hand. He clenched and opened it again, grunting expectantly. "Hhn, go on. Hand over the dosh. Ah, in fact, now that we're on the subject, lets throw in a penny or two for that bag a peas, why not."

That was it. You finally snapped.

"You know what?! I have a better idea! For almost breaking my nose-!" You yelled angrily, voice becoming shrill. You seized Murdoc by his collar, forcing him to look at you. "-HOW ABOUT I SUE YOU."

There came a squeak. Noodle shot up and elbowed Murdoc harshly in his side. You released his shirt so he could clutch his torso and gasp in pain.

"Look what you have done, look what you did!" Noodle wailed, distraught. "It has come to this!"

"There she is! Tha's my [Y/n]!" Stuart cheered. Everyone in the room swiveled their heads to look at him.

"If she sued us, you'd be hurt in the process too, you know that right?" Russel made a sympathetic face at Stu, before turning his attention back to you. Stuart's smile fell, and when he tried to speak again he found he was just drowned out once more.

Deep down, you knew you wouldn't sue. You made eye contact with Russel and, to your surprise, he didn't break it off. You got the feeling he knew that too. That, and a little bit more. A small staring contest lasted a few seconds before you looked away.