Chapter 4

You were sobbing. Big fat tears rolled down your cheeks as your shoulders shook violently and your hands trembled. You were leaning on a tree in a desolate area of your local park, alone and wracked with grief.

A few hours prior you had so much going for you. A party, a movie, a slice of cake. But the joyous spinning of your world had screeched to a halt when your beloved companion, friend and mentor, Whale, had gone missing for real. 

You could barely hold your phone, it slid from your shaky grip a good few times before you managed to click the smiling contact photo of someone you'd let down.

Ring, ring, ring, ring - The person you wish to call is not available right now. Please leave a message after the tone.

The tone sounded and you immediately coughed. "H-hello," you choked on your own tears "[Friend's name] I, I cant make lunch today. Something came up." You forced a laugh and sunk down the length of the tree trunk, collapsing against it on the grass. You hesitated. A second felt like a painful eternity. What to say next escaped you, so you simply hung up.

After ending the call and gazing up from your phone, you studied the gaping distance between you and the parks exit. "I've looked everywhere." You murmured. "What, has he chased the squirrel to the end of the earth?" You cracked a joke for your own benefit, your lips curved into a weak smile as your tired eyes slowly began to close.

Before they completely could, however, a towering figure obscured your view. Your eyelids flew open, pupils darting around like a madman, nostrils flared. 

"I'll help yew look." Piped up his sad little voice.

"Mr. Pot!" You cried resentfully, furiously attempting to leap up but being too exhausted to do so. Your nails dug into the tree trunk as your eyes seared holes through Stuarts already black ones. "Why do you always insist on appearing at the worst times!" 

He stared down at you sadly, his hands restless. "Listen, please, I'm really really sorry. It's my fault, I shoulda never grabbed yew. Maybe yew'd find 'im sooner if it weren't for me, distractin' yew. I jus' wanna 'elp, please I-"

"I don't need your pity!" You wept, head in your hands, heart in your mouth, your frame shaking. "Whats with you?!" Bitterness overcame you. "Wh-why do you make me, make me feel s-so, s-s-so pathetic?!" Turning your head to look up at Stuart, locking eyes with him, you did something bold.

"Just comfort me!"

Using all your strength to get onto your feet, you staggered over to the speechless man, and crumpled into his arms, crying.

Stuart's mouth was agape, his eyes bore into you as if you were just a figment of his imagination.

"Comfort me, please." You insisted, burying your face into his shirt. For a second you cursed yourself, thinking he was repulsed by you. Regret filled you. You had been so cruel to him, why would he ever-

He did. He shushed you, his slender fingers swept strands of hair from your tear stained face. He massaged gentle circles across your back. His long arm encircled your waist, pressing you firmly against his torso. You heard his heartbeat - it was beating quick, no, almost abnormally fast. "Everyfinks gonna be awrite, promise." He spoke muffled words into your hair. "Whenever I feel down, I always remember that, an' it turns out I'm always right!" You could practically hear his grin.

His adorable, toothless grin.

What were you thinking? This guy is a stranger - stranger danger. You pulled away, already missing his warmth (but shoving that thought down into the depths of your mind). 

"Thank you." You sniffed, rubbing your eyes and refusing to meet his. You glared at the ground.

"Chin up, buttercup." Stuart encouraged, lowering himself slightly to look at your face. "Yew know mine, but whats your name?"

"Whale." You breathed, not registering his question. "Please, help me find Whale, Mr.Pot!" You tugged his sleeve and started walking briskly towards the park exit.

"Oh, okay," he agreed, thankful to have been asked, "but," he sped up to keep up with you, despite one of his steps equating to two of yours. "Yew know 'ow yew called me Mr. Pot? Well yew don' 'ave to be so formal, yew can call me 2- er, Stu. I meant Stu."

"Mhm." You hummed absentmindedly, eyes on the prize.

"So, I guess what I mean is, if i'm Stu, who are yew...?"

"Is that a riddle?" You smirked, raising an eyebrow.

"No..." he trailed off, flustered. "I'm tryin' to get your name."

"It's [your name]." You replied, flashing your signature smile. "I'm [y/n]."