Chapter 10

That morning you awoke in a foul mood. Sleeping on your sofa had taken a painful toll on your body, you were sore all over. Your blankets were thin and your living room was draughty, which had allowed the cold to bite at your fingers and feet all night like an enraged cat. You recalled how your sleep was interrupted countless times that night, as you'd been restless and had kept rolling off the sofa onto the floor, waking up.

Throwing the blankets to one side, you got up and headed to your bathroom, grumbling impatiently. On the way, you stormed past a peacefully sleeping Whale, who was curled up in his basket which, today, was located at the bottom of the stairs. You usually didn't mind Whale's habit of dragging his bed to a new location each night, but this morning you found it incredibly inconvenient

That explained what your entire situation was right now. Inconvenient. And who was the source of it all? Stuart.

After brushing your teeth, you slammed the bathroom cabinet shut with a clatter. The bottle of painkillers hadn't been cleared from yesterday, so stray pills lay scattered about your bathroom in odd places. What is this, you thought, an Easter egg hunt? You kicked the fallen container across the floor, it bounced off the wall and rolled sadly away.

You sighed. It was only after you'd stared at it in bitter disappointment for a good few seconds that you finally turned and flung open the door, only to see -

"AiieEe!" you screamed, staggering backwards.

"AAAHH!" Stuart screamed louder, ducking his head behind his outstretched hands defensively. 

"Oh. My God." You slumped against the door frame, heart pumping, your hand against your forehead melodramatically as if you were mere seconds away from fainting. "Stu, what in the fresh heck were you doing behind the door?"

Stu opened one of his previously scrunched up eyes. "I was jus' goin' to find yew, but then I didn't wanna disturb y-"

"Next time, just knock." You stopped him.

"...A-awrite." Stuart reached a long arm above your head and knocked rhythmically on the bathroom door. "'Ello? Is tha' yew [Y/n]?" He grinned. When there came no response he looked down at you, searching for your eyes, eagerly awaiting your laughter. Proud smile still plastered on his face.

You simply walked past him. 

Stuart stood there awkwardly.

"[Y/n]?" He pleaded. "Whats wrong?"

You marched into your bedroom where Stu had spent the night, closing the door behind you. There it was again, the faint smell of butterscotch.

I cant ask him about this Paula. I just cant.

You busied yourself by searching for where you'd last left your phone, throwing things about and rummaging through the sheets. If Stu has slept on my phone, I sure hope he didn't butt dial anyone.

"Gotcha" You picked up your phone triumphantly. Glancing up momentarily, your eye immediately caught sight of the face.

Across the room, Stu's shirt lay drying on the radiator, the one that Whale had soaked. The 'hello kinky' cat character stared balefully at you.

"Don't you judge me." You said.

It's glare seemed to pierce into your very soul. It spelled doom. You shifted your weight uncomfortably.

"What do you want from me?"

It said nothing.

"What?" You persisted.

It spoke. "Honeyyy, the silent treatment? Real classy."

Squealing in alarm, you left the room so fast you saw stars. You knew it was just your guilty conscience, and that voice was 100% fabricated by you yourself, but you still managed to freak yourself out a little.

"[Y/n]?" Came his voice. Stuart hadn't moved from his spot by the bathroom door, but that minute or so you'd shut yourself in had felt like forever to him. He'd been lonely. Unsure of what to do with himself in this unfamiliar home. His mind was swimming. He didn't know what he'd done wrong but he wanted to fix it. Badly.

"[Y/n], there yew are, I'm so sorry for wha'ever I've done." Stu babbled, rushing over to you. He bobbed his head to avoid a low hanging light bulb. "Please say somethink, anythink."

You both stood staring at each other. Stu wrung his hands. You chewed your lip.

"Stu, I..." You shook your head, words failing you. Instead, you outstretched your arms.

Stuart stood rigid like a deer caught in the headlights. The poor guy looked at you as though you'd just pointed a gun at him. It pained you. So you closed the distance.

Stepping closer and reaching up, you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him down into a tight hug. You felt his breath hitch. His body instantly drew closer to you, as if magnetized, although his arms stayed pinned stiffly to his sides.

"No, I'm sorry." You said, your voice causing wisps of his hair to tremble. "You're not inconvenient. You're human. I guess we both have secrets." You exhaled, your last sentence meant more to comfort yourself than anyone. 

"[Y-y/n]? Wha' are yew saying?" Stu swallowed, suddenly very aware of how dry his mouth was.

"But I'd never want to lose you. Ever. You mean too much to me now, have you noticed?" You released him and pressed your phone into his hands. "Can we stay in touch?"

Stuart's brow furrowed and his eyes seemed to sadden. "Where are yew goin'?"

"Nowhere, I'll be here, it's you we need to get home." When he said nothing, you took it upon yourself to cheer him up.

"Chin up, buttercup!" You said with a laugh, lifting his chin with a gentle touch. A smile emerged on Stuart's once timid face, a rainbow after the rain.

"Yew remembered!"

"That I did!" You exclaimed, bouncing up and down, overflowing with joy. "I remember everything about you! Uh, I mean, t-that is to say, I have a g-good memory!" You hastily turned on your heel and zoomed down the stairs, mentally kicking yourself. 

"Breakfast'scomingup!"

Stu watched you go, a crooked smile fixed on his face. He exhaled happily. Looking down at the phone in his hands, he punched his number in under the name StuPot. He added a heart emoji after the 'Pot'.

Flushing pink, he quickly deleted the heart and looked around just in case someone happened to see. Sure enough, there sat a smug Whale at his feet.

Stu looked down at him dismayed. "Don't tell 'er. Please."

"Borf."