Chapter 14

Stuart raised an eyebrow. "Are yew sure about this?" Beside him, Whale gave you a disapproving look.

"Oh," You gave a small chuckle, "definitely." Those would be your famous last words, you thought, as you ducked your head, pivoted your body and wedged yourself through the fence, into the unknown. 

Shuffling through, you squinted your eyes as misshapen, gnarled leaves clawed at your face. Seems you had walked face first into a dying hedge. What would usually be flourishing greenery was thin and warped, like barbed wire it scoured your skin and yanked roughly your hair. You cried out as a rogue twig jabbed you in the eye, but still you continued to elbow your way through the shriveled thicket.

"[Y/n]? Wha' 'appened?" Stu's voice called from a little way behind you, laced with worry.

"Yarr, that's Captain [Y/n] to ye, landlubber." You joked, turning to face Stuart with your hand firmly clamped over your eye. The wiry hedge around you snapped as you moved, cracking like peanut brittle.

With your good eye you saw that Stu was struggling just as much as you were, his two stringy arms were tangled in the bush and so was his left leg, which seemed to have sunk into the thick undergrowth, twigs and leaves weaving around his ankle almost like a spiders web. His blue hair clung to his already sweaty face, which bore a troubled expression. This changed at your joke, he managed a smile. "Yew 'urt yewr eye? Don't worry, but we cant stop now, jus' keep goin'!" He urged you, nodding his head in the straight forward direction. More crackling followed as more twigs broke and fell.

You didn't move. Just looked at Stu. Shaking your head slightly, you sighed. "What are we doing." 

"This happens to me often." He grinned, attempting to tug his arm free. Just then, a loud round of snapping sounded. You and him both looked down to see Whale biting and pawing at the hedge around Stuart's trapped leg, trying to free him. Stu only blinked in disbelief.

"As I thought." You dropped your hand, watery eyes softening at the sight. "He really likes you."

"This..." Stuart's lower lip trembled, his voice wobbled with emotion. "This is the only whale I could ever love." He pulled his leg up once the twigs were cleared, also yanking his arms from the hedge with a determined goal to hug Whale. "Where were yew all those other million times I got stuck 'ere?!" He sniffled, clinging to the big dog. Whale gave you a knowing look.

Whale's heroism gave you renewed energy. You turned back to fight your way through the bushes, ignoring the sparks of pain shooting through your eye. You heard Stu and Whale following close behind you. Soon enough, you found arms and legs were bound by nothing and you were thrown out into a clearing. The abrupt end to the thicket caused you to lose your balance, you staggered forward a step or two before you stopped yourself, arms outstretched.

Taking in the view, you inhaled. However, you didn't get to see much before, without warning, Stuart and Whale were forcibly spat out from the hedge behind you. The momentum they had built sent them flying, Stuart lost his balance as you had done and-

"Agh!"

"Borf?"

His body slammed into yours and you both tumbled onto the ground. You were met with a noseful of grass, causing you to sputter and gasp. As quick as you could, you rolled onto your back, trying to clear your airways. You breathed heavily, hands gripping the grass for dear life.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! Whale pushed me!" Stuart yelled, panicked. From on top of you. He was straddling you.

You dismissed this. "It's okay. Get off me, then." You waited patiently, the side of your face pressed against the ground so you could see your hand, and your surroundings at an angle. You saw Whale lolloping off to fetch a few sticks, a little way off. You tore up some grass, watched it flutter from your weak grip in the breeze.

He didn't get off.

"What's the hold up?" You asked. Your eyes flickered to his face.

A crimson blush was creeping from his face down to his neck. Leaves and pieces of twigs were tangled in his azure locks, strands of which clung to his brow, gleaming with sweat. His pale cheeks showed faint pink markings where sharp twigs had scratched. Slowly but surely, he was leaning closer. 

Stu was panting slightly, lips parted, dark eyes fixated on you. His arms were pinned on each side of you, leaving you nowhere to turn. You could practically feel his gaze drop from your face, sweeping across your body. 

You suddenly felt incredibly exposed.

"GET OFF ME RIGHT NOW STUART POT WHAT IN THE F R E S H  H E C K." 

"Sorry sorry sorry!" He bleated, leaping away.

You bolted upright, like the ears on a rabbit upon hearing the slightest sound. You gawped at Stu. He was sat trembling with his legs pulled close, covering his eyes and biting his lower lip with a single tooth digging in.

"Squashy?"

Stu peeked from behind his fingers. You shuffled closer on your knees. 

"I'm sorry for yelling at you. But, I was, you were, you know."

He removed his hands from his face, revealing his still rosy cheeks. "I-I wasn't trying..." He trailed off.

"Bloody hell, I don't know, maybe I was! Maybe I didn't wanna get off yew! But this isn't like me, [Y/n]. Yew make me do weird fings." He grumbled the last part, sinking his head into his knees.

"I didn't make you do anything." You said firmly, edging closer. He stiffened.

"Yes yew did."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"How?!" You asked, eyebrows raised.

"W-with yewr eyes. An' yewr laugh. An' jus', the way yew speak an' smell an' act. I know, it's stupid but keep it up an' yew'll drive me crazy, I swear! Yew make me do fings!" He growled, ruffling his own hair with both hands, seemingly angrier at himself than at you.

"It's not me." You said, though there was guilt in your eyes.

"Then wha' is it?!"

You shrugged, looking around you. "Must be something in the air."

Stuart stared at you and you stared back. Eventually you spoke, your voice heavy with sadness.

"Once you get home, stay away from me."

"I can't." He croaked. "I could never."

"You can." You breathed, your face hovering only inches from his now. His eyelids fluttered shut, he felt your breath tickle his face.

"Can't." He repeated, slowly closing the gap between you two. Suddenly, he sprang away, pointing an accusing finger at you. "Y-yew're doin' it again! Stoppit!"

"Hopeless." You stated, standing up and throwing your head back in exasperation. "This is hopeless. Lets just go throw sticks for Whale. Which way now, shortcut master?"

Stuart huffed, standing up. "All we do now is follow the path."