Chapter 16

No birds were harmed in the making of this chapter.

"You mean to tell me," Murdoc slammed his glass down onto the table, droplets of alcohol spraying him in the face. He wiped his chin with his stained sleeve, snarling indistinct words into his arm. "He's been gone, just how long now?"

Russel glanced up from his hardback novel that his broad back was hunched over, shrugging with a cool gaze. "He's a grown man. It's none of your business."

Noodle's face contorted into one of irritation at Murdoc, she slid something flat and square across the table to him with so much force it left skid marks on the surface. "Use the coaster, the coaster! Gosh, I buy you something that isn't socks for once and you don't even use it, how dare! They even have cat faces on them, wow, I know." She did a Murdoc impression, putting on a gruff voice. "Thank you Noodle. Our tables are saved." Noodle leaned back in her chair, folding her arms and turning up her nose. "You are very welcome."

Russel sniggered, before returning to his book. Murdoc simply sank in down in his seat, staring blankly at the wall.

The trio sat in blissful ignorance of what was happening just beyond their doorstep.

"I can't run anymore!" You hollered, competing to be heard over the thunder. 

You, Stuart and Whale were racing along the path, never lingering a second too long, as if the ground were hot coals that would burn if you slowed. Your lungs were on fire and so were your legs. With every step they shook violently like you were walking on stilts. 

"We can't! Let the bird... get there." Stuart responded, his voice losing gusto halfway through his sentence. He wasn't doing too good either, a thin layer of sweat coated his face and flattened his surrounding hair, causing him to gleam in each brief lightning flash. Every breath he took was illustrated by an icy white cloud that puffed from his nostrils. You saw these escape his lips with increased speed, fading faster as his breathing grew shallow.

Whale was fine. Tongue lolling out as usual, he could run for hours.

You knew you couldn't go on like this much longer, the path was coming to be practically a vertical climb. Kong Studios edging closer over the hill. The pesky bird, however, was soaring, flying, there was not a star in heaven that it couldn't reach (it's breaking free!).

But when the lightning flashed it squawked and flapped backwards in a panic. 

You looked to Stuart again, eyes dropping to his thin arm which was merged to yours via your locked hands. Then it hit you. You knew what you had to do.

"Listen," you gasped, slowing down. Stuart goggled at you as if you were mad, but did the same, slumping over with his hands gripping his knees for support. Whale tumbled to a halt, bewildered. 

You spoke hurriedly, aware you didn't have time to spare. "I know what we have to do but only you can do it," You delved into the carrier bag you'd brought with you, it crackled as you rummaged around. Stu peered curiously as he panted, his eyebrows twitching in surprise when he caught sight of the angry red grooves around your wrist where the plastic handle had dug in, cutting off your blood as you'd ran.

All of a sudden he was presented with his own shoe. 

"Throw it." You wheezed. "Throw it just like how you throw Whale's sticks."

Stuart stood hunched, breathing harshly. He looked up at the raven who was rising overhead. 

"I-I-I can't! 'E's too 'igh up!" He struggled to say.

You simply pointed up into the darkness just as Stuart had once done to you. "Wait for it." You breathed. 

The lightening set the sky ablaze for the millionth time that night, sending the bird into a confused frenzy. It hurtled both backwards and downwards simultaneously in it's own bafflement. This is the point where usually, it would adjust and pull itself back up into the sky. Unfortunately for it, Stuart had long arms.

He snatched the shoe from your hand and lobbed it with all his might directly at the evil raven. It whisked through the air, spinning almost in slow motion. For a second Cortez looked as though he had regrets.

SMACK! The raven dropped like a stone, black feathers scattering. You held your breath.

Not even a minute passed before the raven shot up again, screeching in defeat. It flounced off through the night sky in the direction of the pale moon, never looking back. Whale watched with suspicion. 

"'E'll be back. Probably not to bother us." Stu stated, wiping the sweat from his brow. "Yew know I wouldn't normally 'urt anythink, [Y/n], but I actually don't feel too bad about doin' tha'."

"Why? Because we had no choice?" You asked, massaging a stitch you had in your side.

"Tha' an' the fact tha' the thing eats eyeballs." Stuart shuddered, grimacing. "An' ears, now tha' I fink about it."

"My favourite." You scrunched your face in disgust, your words prompting a short lived laugh from Stu. 

"We did it." He said, shooting you a tired smile. "We're home."

Together you both turned your attention to the building that sat smugly on the hill. Just a bit further, you thought, and it would be time to face the music.

"..."

"We completely missed a chance to use a cool line!" 

"Aw, wha'?!"

"Yeah like 'Think fast, Cortez.'"

"Or- or 'bulls eye' when we got 'im."

"Or 'hasta la vista, birdie!'"

"..."

"..."

"We 'ave to do this again sometime."

"Oh, definitely."