Chapter 13

In the hallway of your house there was a gentle quiet. No sound except the distant rumbling of traffic, muted birdsong, the hum of the fridge coming from the kitchen. The clock ticked, footsteps passed your house, a dog barked. Time passed.

You didn't know how long you and Stuart had been like this. Sat leaning against each other with your backs pressed against your front door. You had lost track of time as your mind had drifted, thinking about all these past events. Stuart was in a band. A famous one at that. But after what he'd told you, you realized you just couldn't define him by it. That would break him.

Just then, Stu began to snore softly, startling you. You felt his head slowly fall against your cheek, denying you the ability to turn your head. All you could do was stay still as a statue.

He's asleep?!  Your eyes darted upwards to where the clock hung on the distant opposite wall, all the way down the length of the corridor. You could barely make out the hand placements. Squinting, you saw that it wasn't the afternoon but it wasn't yet the evening. It was that awkward time of day between the two. In other words, you could still make it.

"Hey, wake up." 

You raised your shoulder, which in turn raised Stu's head up and off your face. He continued to snore.  

"2D?"

You tried again, gently shaking his upper arm. Nothing. If anything, he leaned further into you, pressing his head into the crook of your neck. You suppressed laughter, his hair tickled. "Seriously! Come on!" You tried to counter his weight, pushing the opposite way he was leaning so that he sat upright. For a second you thought he'd woken up, his legs stretched out, his hands tensed up. But then he just flopped right back onto you again. Defeated, you [whistled/called out].

The thundering sound of heavy paws came flying down the stairs and towards you and Stuart. "Whoa, stop, sit!" Clumsily, Whale tried to sit in the middle of his turbo waddle, thus sliding across the carpet and landing at your feet. "Hey." You grinned, happy to see your four legged friend. "Wanna go for a walk? Because I sure do!" Your tone suddenly flattened "If only I could move..."

Immediately understanding what he had to do, Whale scrambled up, leaping into your lap. From there he scooted into Stuart's, his paws flailing madly. You laughed, ducking your head to avoid the lethal swinging tail. Whale really tried his best, rolling over several times, sniffing Stu's ears so he would feel that weird gust of air everyone hates, pawing at Stu's stomach where he might've been ticklish. Whale's weight alone should have been enough, but Stu was apparently a deep sleeper. It was only by Whale's third ear sniff did he awake with a start.

"I DIDN'T DO IT I SWEAR- huh?" Stuart stared wide eyed at the happy dog sat on his lap.

"Borf!" Whale announced, licking his face in greeting.

"...Eeeeh..." Stu squeezed his eyes shut, like a child about to throw a fit.

"Hi sleepy head, you were out maybe 5 minutes but it took us 5 years to wake you." You said, stretching your limbs, finally free.

"Sorry." Stu said, dazed. He cracked open one eye. "Um, [Y/n], wha's 'e doin'?" 

"Guess he likes you." Whale stopped the affectionate licking and nodded in agreement, hopping off Stu. Stu exhaled as if he'd been holding his breath for a century.

He regained his composure. "I... I like 'im too. Even if 'is name scares me silly." Stu reached out to pet Whale, gingerly trailing his hand down Whale's thick fur. Your eyes followed, a smile taking shape on your face. This turned into a tiny giggle, then a breathy laugh. 

Stu looked at you quizzically. "Wha'?" 

You just turned your head away, smiling at the floor.

Stuart coughed, feeling his face heat up.