Chapter 17

Warning: blood mention.

Knock, knock, knock.

There came three slow, deliberate knocks on the back door of Kong Studios. Noodle whipped her head around to face it, her bangs flying. Russel grunted something incomprehensible, engrossed in his book.

Outside, Stuart struggled to remember where it was that this door lead. It certainly wasn't the main door, so which was it?

"The kitchen!" He realized. "[Y/n], wha' time is it?"

"Dinner time." You replied.

He chortled. "Be serious, c'mon."

"It's actually about dinner time," You said, looking at your phone. "7 O'clock." Stuart's sweaty face seemed to drain of life, whilst Whale's perked up at the mention of dinner.

"Tha' means they're all in there." He whispered, crestfallen. 

"What's taking them so long to open the door?" You shoved your phone back into your pocket with one hand and raised the other, curling it into a loose fist. You were about to knock again when Stuart blocked you, catching your hand in his big one.

"[Y/n], I fink I should stand where yew are right now." He babbled.

Behind the door, Murdoc stirred. Lifting his head from where it had been nestled in his folded arms on the table, he narrowed his eyes.

"Always using the wrong bloody door, isn't he? Well, the dullard's back." Murdoc looked to Russel, wanting a response. Russel didn't respond.

"Yes. I'll get it." Noodle slid from her seat, dutifully.

Outside the door, you and Stu were conversing quickly in hushed whispers. You were in front of both Stuart and Whale, stood smack bang in the center of the doorway. Stu was forced to stand uncomfortably to the side, out of the way. Whale was dawdling behind your legs. 

If the door were to be opened, it would be you who'd be seen first.

"Move? Why?" You shot at him, quietly.

"I really jus' think we should swap places so tha' yew can try standing 'ere, in my fantastic place-"

"That makes no sense, Squashers." You tilted your head confusedly and he only grew more restless. "I need to be there to apologize for your absence." You explained, smiling. Stu opened his mouth to speak, but he just closed it again when you beamed at him. You were so sweet, so undeserving of cruelty, Stuart felt himself become lightheaded from his building anxiety.

"[Y/n], please, please, jus'-"

Without any warning, the door was flung open and you were met with something flat, hard and heavy to the skull.

It made contact with your face with a stomach-turning, dull, crack. You reeled backwards from the force.

"HAH! WELCOME BACK FACEACHE- Faceache?"

There was a high pitched gasp followed by a frightened female voice. "What have you done?! S-she's hurt! Quickly, tissue, tissue! Ice, Ice! Where the ice?!"

You heard chaos.

Slowly, the thing fell from your face and landed at your feet, fluttering open. A book. You felt your dog push past you, into the house. More chaos sounded, nervous yelling. It all sounded muffled to you.

Dazed, you bent to pick the book up. You almost keeled over. Wobbling back to an upright position, you flipped it to look at the cover. You read the title aloud, your own distant voice startling you.