Chapter 19

Artist of the day: Nagy Norbert 

A/n: sorry if this chapter feels rushed. I'll come back later to fix it...if I remember T.T (also this chapter is really long! sorry!)

----

You slowly blink awake to the bright sun that allows you to see the campfire has burnt out over the night. You wonder how long you were asleep for as it seems the sun has been up for a while and the reason as to why you feel sore. You let out a groan as you try to sit up from laying down. Only to get tug back into a strong comforting embrace. You pout in confusion, wondering what caused you to fall back, only to instantly smile once noticing that you're in Venator's arms. 

Seeing Venator's arms around your waist bring back memories from last night. Memories like the new information you learnt. Of how your friends got the fate they didn't deserve. But you also remember how Venator helped you during your mental breakdown. How he didn't cross over any boundaries and simply gave you comfort that you need. Telling, along with showing much later, how much he cares for you. 

You also remember how you finally taught Venator what a kiss is. Which leaves a strange sensation on your lips and jaw afterwards, courtesy to the mandibles, that will take time getting used to.

"Good morning" you yawn out as Venator starts to blink awake. Moving his arms to stretch yet not wanting to let you go. So, he simply tightens his grip on you. You turn around to snuggle into his arms. Now facing his chest unlike before. Just as Venator gives a soft purr in his form of a 'good morning'. 

"I wanted to ask you something" Venator speaks in a soft tone once he wakes up. You simply hummed out a response. Eyes slowly closing due to the warm and comfort being provided. Which lulls you back to sleep. " I was wondering if you understand that, given our situation. I won't be able to able to do the standard courting ritual" Venator explains. This breaks you from sleep's embrace.

"You have a courting ritual?" you ask in surprise. Looking up with wide alert eyes.

"Not exactly. As courting isn't a big deal in my culture. Nor is becoming mates. But given you're an ooman. There will be some expectations. I just hope you understand that in case I have to be away" Venator explains. Your surprise and excited nature disappear into confuse and slight worry. "What do you mean? Why do you have to be away?" you ask, now looking down at Venator. Since you push yourself up on one hand while the other rest onto of Venator's chest. 

"It's complicated and includes the reason I'm here" Venator answers. Resting his hand on top of yours. "You're here to hunt, right?" you ask with a half-smile. Feeling slight proud that you're understanding Venator more and more. That is till you notice him not confirming your assumption. "That is why you're here right?" You ask. 

Before Venator can answer you. He freezes up. Quickly sitting up. Catching you in the process as his sudden motion caught you off guard. "Hey! Wha-What's happening?" you ask, scared at whatever cause Venator to be on edge. 

"...someone is here" Venator answer as he reaches for his weapon. Standing up to protect you. As you try to stand up, you end up falling due to your leg being sore. "Goddamnit," you hiss in pain and knowing that you can't help if danger arrives. 

Venator slowly limps to where the source is coming from. Weapon lift in front, ready to fight. Until another being that looks like Venator emerge from the forest. Venator doesn't drop his weapon.

There is a tense pause where the two beings stare at each other. You don't say a word, too scared that if you do. The two beings will engage in a fight. That's until the new alien calls out.