Chapter 23

Artist of the day: Raf Grassetti

A/n: Long ass chapter that's over 5000 words. Sorry about that! But this is the second last chapter! Shit's about to go down! Hope it's clear and enjoy the fight! Woo! Second last chapter! 

----

You let out a sigh of contentment within Venator's arms. Enjoying the warmth and how it surrounds you. As if welcoming you back to peace and comfort. You notice how his arms tighten. As if Venator realise how much he enjoys holding you too. Enjoying how calming and right it feels to have you close.

Both of you are enjoying the hug, not daring to disturb the quiet that has form. A quiet that seems to protect you from the world. Reassuring you two that you can take this time to relax and bask in one another's hold.

It was Venator who broke the hug first. Letting out a heavy sigh as he pulls away gently. "As much as I would enjoy the suggestion. We need to leave now" Venator speaks, look down at you as you look up into caring golden eyes. They look at you as if you're the most precise thing they've ever seen in the galaxy.

"But I still want to explore the ship!" you pout. A fake disappointment. Because despite how interesting the ship is, you didn't care about it. You just want to stay in Venator's safehold longer.

"I promise I'll give you a tour of the ship later. For now, we need to go and save my brother." Venator promise. Holding you tightly once more to purr softly. You both stay in that hug for a while longer. Taking in the unspoken hidden promise within that innocent teasing. The promise of coming back- together. The unspoken proposal of a future being shared. You find yourself looking forward to that future as you pull away completely from Venator to give your snappy response. 

Is life truly so cruel that in your final moments it reminds you of what could be? Not only do you have to face physical pain of your throat tightening. The sharp pains of your lungs screaming for air and your eyes feeling as if they're going to pop. But you have to endure the emotional pain of knowing you won't see Venator ever again. Never get to experience that hug ever again. Is life that cruel?

Because if so, life is a bitch. How dare it show you this just as you're about to die on a metal table by Venator's brother who you tried to save! Life is a God damn bitch. 

You close your eyes, squeezing them shut to ignore the rage in Orion's eyes. Hoping that by doing so, the process of dying won't be so painful. You're ready to face whatever consequence of helping Orion will bring you. You have accepted your fate of dying as you take a deep loud refreshing breath.

Wait a minute that doesn't make sense.  

Your hand snaps up to grab your throat as you take loud gasps of air. Your brain plays catch up as it takes in the missing weight of Orion on your chest and now notices how sore, yet free, your other arm is. It takes your brain another minute to distinguish the sounds of gun firing and shouting.

With determination to prove to Life that no one can take you down and that you will fulfil your promise. You weakly roll off the table you're on and collapse on the ground to make sure you won't get hit. Before you could summon the strength to crawl away, a pair of hands reach out and gently grab you.

"It's alright, I got you" a familiar voice cooed as it places one of your arms around his shoulder.