Chapter 22

Artist of the day: Zloy Caleb

A/N: omg, an update? About time, am I right? Enjoy!

-----

The soft colours of the sunset paint over your face as you stare out at the forest that's behind the chain-link fence that surrounds the base. Trying to figure out this confusing puzzle of responsibility.

You weigh your options, trying to decide which is better. If you help Orion, Joe will kill you. But not only that, you will be betraying (F/n)! Well, you don't know if you are or not but chances are, they/he/she will be devastated with you siding with the 'monsters'. But if you don't help, then Orion will die and you will be betraying Venator!

So far, both choices include the possibility of someone dying and betraying a loved one. The question is, who are you willing to sacrifice?

You groan in annoyance. Bring your hand to rub your face. As if trying to physically smooth the emotional pain this choice brings you.

Why did you have to become the bridge between two worlds?

Pulling your hands away from your face. You decide to go back inside before the sun disappears or any of the soldiers that are walking by tells you off. You steal one last glance at the sunset as you approach the door. Knowing once you walk inside, there's no going back.

With a deep breath, you open the exit door and worm your way back into the room.

"Where have you been?!" (f/n) cries out the second you enter the room. Pulling you into a bone-crushing hug. "Er, sorry. got lost", you lied but lucky they/he/she bought it. Releasing you from the hug. You look around the room to see the suits are gone and replacing them are Josh, Paul and a random soldier.

"Um, what's going on?" You question the soldiers.

"Waiting for our ride" Josh deadpan. Not looking up from the floor as he sits down on the uncomfortable plastic chair. "You guys are coming too?" You ask. To which Paul dully nods his head. "As your protection. We are expecting to come back to base...unfortunately." Paul comments softly. Sounding disappointed in the circumstances.

You share a look with F/n. As you both took notice of their sad expression of coming back. "Err, Can't you request to leave or something?" F/n poorly ask. Hoping to help the soldiers in some way or another. "Considering we have more experienced with these things and it's our job. We can't just abandon it when we feel like it" Josh harshly explains.

"That...sucks" You comment, unsure of what else to say. The new face, that sits away from Paul and Josh, has his back resting against a wall and gives a dry chuckle. Earning your attention. "Tell me about it" the young man comments with a straight face.

The room became quiet and it was understood that everyone is tired of this poor situation of having to face loss and running for their lives. It has been a very long couple of days for everyone. You turn to (f/n) to see they/he/she is already looking at you. Without a word, they/he/she offers your their/his/her hand to hold. You feel like the world within that room stand still as you are being offered to hold their/his/her hand. As if they/he/she is asking you what your choice is.

What will you pick?

Venator or f/n?

You reach out and hold their hand without hesitation. They/he/she tighten their/his/her grip as you wait for the car. You can't tell if this is the right decision or not.

~~~~

"Where's my ooman?!" Venator asks breathlessly as he pushes away the thick forest undergrowth. "Ssh!" Xander harshly greets as he continues to stare at the base below their viewpoint, that's on top of a hill. Where they can see the soldiers march by, preparing vehicles to leave or some going to set up tall lights that shine brightly. Providing them lights to see within the night sky.