Chapter 12 [📱]

Music filled my hotel room as I flipped through the pages of my song notebook. The moment I woke up, Phantasm asked me if I could let her listen to some of the songs I wrote. I was surprised that she was showing an interest in my life but she cut me off saying she was confident my songs were subpar that she was willing to wave my wish requirement for the day if she liked at least one of my songs. Of course, I took the deal.

Needless to say, after playing just one song, she lost the bet.

"This song is fucking amazing." I looked at my phone and smiled. Phantasm was dancing to one of the songs I wrote, 'Shut Up and Dance'. She had her hands on the air and was swaying side to side to the rhythm. The funniest thing was she had on these big ass headphones which didn't make sense because the song was playing through my loudspeaker.

I placed my hand to my chest and feigned disappointment. "And you thought my songs were horrible." She flipped me off which only made me laugh harder.

As Phantasm continued to jam out, a foreign feeling began to creep up in my chest. Was this... contentment? I couldn't remember the last time I ever felt this, or felt it at all. Even before, having my sister and my mom beside me was enough to make me happy but I always felt bad for them. I always thought that I could give them so much more, if only I had the chance.

And it seemed like now, I did.

They were happy and they could do things they couldn't do before—have things they couldn't have before. Even more so, I could confidently say that I was happy too. It was the first time I felt care and tenderness for another person. My relationship with Camila might be based on false pretenses but at the very least... we were both happy.

I looked at Phantasm's smiling face and realized I've yet to tell her what happened.

Closing my notebook, I placed it on my lap and grabbed my phone. Phantasm was still swaying but smiled at me nonetheless. "What's up?"

I began thinking about the best way to tell her but then realized saying it outright was the best option.

"Camila wanted us to be together."

Phantasm turned off the music.

"And I said yes."

I watched her body tense for a second before she looked away from me. She slowly grabbed the headphones and pulled them down from her head. I waited in anticipation for her reply. I've always been the one that constantly told her having a relationship with Camila under the circumstances wasn't right. And yet, here I was doing exactly that.

She sighed then turned back to me. "You expect me to be angry, don't you?"

"In all honesty? Yeah," I answered.

"You love her, I know that. She loves you, hope I can forget that. So I don't see the problem," she added the last line with a smile.

Both of us just looked at each other for a minute before I broke the silence. "Okay. Now tell me how you really feel."

"You're gonna get hurt," she said, studying me afterwards. "But judging by the look on your face, you already know that..." She trailed off when I looked down at the bed. "Maybe even prepared for it?"

"How do you know exactly what I'm feeling?"

Phantasm chuckled and crossed her arms. "I'm a wish-granting phone application. There's not much I can't do."

Moving from my bed, I made my way to the balcony and watched litters of people going on and about their day—not knowing Phantasm's existence or even the predicament I put myself into.