Chapter 27 [📱]

My eyes were closed as I strummed a few melodies from my guitar. My feet were propped up on the soundboard and my head leaned against the chair. After months of songwriting and recording, the studio already became my second home.

"Using the soundboard as a footrest again, I see."

I opened my eyes and saw Jonas studying me with a smirk on his face. "Oh you're here, I didn't even hear you come in."

"You were in your own world again so that's not a surprise," he answered sitting down on the couch. I sat straight up and held the guitar against the floor, between my legs.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?"

He rolled his eyes and crossed his legs. "I'm just here to remind you that your album is dropping next week and once it does, you'll need to make guestings everywhere. I already have next month booked and half of the one after that."

"Aww, so this is my last week of freedom?"

"Technically you're still working this week, but yes."

"Well you were the one that booked me that collab."

Jonas stood up and walked towards me. "You working with artists your age is beneficial for you too. It makes you seem grounded and approachable even if you're already this big star that everyone's clamoring for."

I nodded, fully understanding him. "That's why you had me collaborate with Alessia Cara."

"You could help each other out, I've no doubt. You've already met with her a few times, right? How was it?"

It was about two weeks ago when Jonas booked me a collaboration with Alessia Cara. I had no idea who she was at the time but nevertheless, I agreed since Jonas knew better about matters like this. Once I met her, I immediately felt drawn towards her. She was an amazing singer and an even more incredible storyteller. Plus, it was fun talking with her and before I knew it, we already became good friends.

"We've been having a lot of fun. I like the way she thinks and how the words flow naturally out of her mouth. You picked a good one, Jonas. How could I ever repay you?"

Jonas groaned as I laughed. "Just make sure the song's finished by the weekend and we'll consider it payment received."

"You're the best, Jo," I shouted as he made his way out of the door. I resumed my earlier position as I strummed familiar chords on my guitar. Instead of closing my eyes, however, I stared at the padded ceiling and began to think about my life thus far.

Phantasm never missed a beat when it came to the life she made for me. Everything had its place and was optimized to have the best results. Macy, for example, was someone I can depend on—not just a driver. Even Jackson was a good guy to talk to. Plus Jonas always put my best interests in mind and he never made me experience something bad. He wasn't greedy and was always there when I needed him.

All in all, this life Phantasm made for me was perfect.

But that was just it... it was made.

The sound of the door opening pulled me out of my thoughts and I was met with a familiar smile when I turned my chair around.

"Alessia, you're late."

She rolled her eyes and made her way to the sofa. "I know. LA traffic is a bitch."

"Well, I'm just glad you're here. I've got some headway on the melody I want you to listen to," I said, joining her on the couch.

Soon enough, we resumed our songwriting session that started last week. Jonas only asked for one song and we already finished it a long time ago but since he gave us two weeks, Alessia and I decided to write some more. This was our third song now and honestly, I'm having fun hanging out with her.