Chapter 23 [📱]

Two days after my sister's funeral did the media get a hold of her death. It instantly became the hot new headline with people clamoring to interview me left and right. The fans all sent me messages of support, even some of my industry friends. But I still wasn't ready to talk about it in public so I wished everyone would move on from Sam's death. Not even twenty-four hours later, Trump did something stupid and I finally got the media off my back.

Now, I just landed in Miami and was on my way to my house. I got all the songs I needed for the album and it was headed to post-production. I decided to take a break and spend what time I can with my mom. It was what Sam wanted after all.

Phantasm nudged me awake as the driver opened the car door. We both got out and headed for the mansion. Lately, I've been asking Phantasm out of my phone so she could accompany me. Sometimes, I just needed someone to physically be there to support me and she never denied my request even if it wasn't a wish.

Macy met us at the foyer and I engulfed her in a hug. She's been kind enough to take care of my mother while I couldn't be with her.

"It's good to see you, Y/N," said Macy, pulling away then turning to Phantasm. "And who's this?"

She extended her hand and shook Macy's. "I'm Phantasm, Y/N's new personal assistant."

"That's a nice name."

"How's mom, Mace?" I asked.

Macy motioned for us to follow her. "She still hasn't talked, at least not to me. But she's eating and she's not really moving much."

We made our way to the backyard and I saw my mom sitting on a swing set. I gave them both a look before I walked over to her. She was looking up at the sky with her hands clasped on her lap. I knelt in front of her and held her hand but she didn't look at me.

"Hey, mom. It's Y/N, I'm back." I waited for a bit but she still didn't make a move to address me. I sighed and stood up to kiss her head. "I'll be here for a while so we can spend some time together. I love you."

When she still didn't respond, I made my way to the girls who were watching me carefully. They both had sad looks on their faces but I just smiled to ease their concern. "So, Macy, is there anything that needs to be done around the house?"

"Umm... I don't think so, I mean the maids clean the house and your chefs are still here. I don't think—" Macy suddenly stopped and looked at me. But she didn't say anything further and just looked down. "No... umm... there's nothing else that needs to be done." Phantasm and I shared a look before I rested my hand on Macy's shoulder.

"What is it? You can tell me," I said.

She looked up but she was still hesitant. I patiently waited for her to speak. "Sam's room."

Phantasm looked confused but I knew what Macy meant. Someone needed to clean Sam's room and my mom couldn't handle that much emotional strain. She wouldn't let the maids do it so I was the only one left.

I nodded and smiled at her. "It's okay, Macy. I'll do it right now."

Leaving Macy with my mom, Phantasm and I made our way to my sister's room. I noticed my hand was shaking as I reached for the doorknob so I took a deep breath and turned it. Her room was still the same shade of pink I remember when I came the last time. The memory of her helping me pick out clothes was so vivid that it seemed like it just happened yesterday.

I walked inside and heard the door click as Phantasm followed me. There were numerous pictures around Sam's mirror and I started pulling them out one by one.

One picture was of me and Sam while she was holding three Grammy's in her hands. Another was of me in the studio with her and my mom. About four pictures were just selfies of Sam and I together. All of the pictures I took all had one thing in common.