Chapter 30 [📱]

I will always remember you. Even if you won't remember me.

I woke up with a jolt and the movement made the guitar on the bed fall to the floor in a clattering thud. Wincing at the sound, I sat up on my bed and looked around my room. Everything was the same—the cans of Coke on the nightstand, the mirror tacked on the wall, and my song notebooks carefully kept in a chest in the corner.

And yet something felt... off.

"Huh," I muttered, glancing at the window. The sun was already up in the sky, signaling me that it was a new day.

Weirdly enough, I couldn't remember the dream I had, only that I had a dream. I remember seeing myself smiling and laughing with other people but their faces were blurred, like my mind couldn't process their features. I spent a few minutes in bed, trying to decipher the missing parts of my dream but gave up when it only gave me a headache.

"Y/N! You're late for work!"

"Oh shit!" I cried out as I heard my mom's voice. I quickly moved down from the bed and placed my guitar against the wall before I ran downstairs.

As I rounded the corner to the kitchen, I felt my feet slow down and stop as I reached the archway. The smell of eggs and bacon filled the whole house as I watched my mom humming while she cooked. For some reason her face looked different. Normally, she looked thin and overworked but, today, her eyes had a soft light in them and the smile on her face was something I hadn't seen since my dad left.

She looked up once she noticed me staring. "Well, don't just stand there. These eggs aren't going to eat themselves."

I chuckled and made my way across the counter from her. "What are you doing here? Don't you have work?" It wasn't a complaint, but I haven't seen her home in such a long time. She would normally come back when I was asleep and leave before I woke up.

But the bright smile on her face told me there was some good news coming our way. "I got a job to teach at the school!" she cried out in excitement.

"Oh my god! Are you serious?"

"I never expected it," she said, shaking her head. "When I applied last time, they said they had no openings. But then they called me first thing this morning and told me a sudden position opened up! I quickly took it and made the calls to quit my other jobs."

"Mom! That's amazing!"

Making my way beside her, I hugged her with all the love only a daughter can muster. She hugged me back with the same intensity that made my heart swell. I didn't know why but I suddenly felt emotional holding her like this. There was a part of me that was afraid of losing her—leaving her. But I couldn't explain why I felt that way.

"Why didn't anyone tell me there was going to be hugging this morning?"

My heart dropped at the sound of the voice. For some reason, my body tensed and my mind went into overdrive. I barely felt my mom pull away from me because I was too busy trying to figure out why tears were falling from my eyes. However, when I dared turn my gaze at the source of the voice, something in me snapped and my legs ran towards her, tightly wrapping her in my arms as the tears continued to stream down my cheeks.

"Sam," I whispered, holding her small body tightly. "Sam, I missed you."

I felt her small hands make their way to my back. "Y/N, are you okay? We just saw each other yesterday morning, remember? Before you went to work?"

"D—did we?" I stuttered, pulling away from her with a chuckle.

"Why are you crying?"

There was no answer I could give her because I didn't know what to tell her myself. When I heard her voice, it was like a dam inside me broke and I felt ultimate happiness. And yet I didn't know why her being here with me affected me so much.