3.

*Perrie's Pov*

Luke tapped on the spotless glass case. "What do you think of this Perrie?"

"Too extravagant," I said decidedly.

The thick gold ring featured large square diamonds circling the band. Whoever wore that ring wouldn't be hard to miss, Not exactly what seemed important to someone like Luke's boyfriend. "I can't imagine Edward wearing that."

"Neither can I." Luke released a long sigh and shook his head. "Remind me that this isn't one of the most important decisions of my life."

I inclined my head thoughtfully, my fingers twisting my own engagement ring. "Asking him to marry you certainly is."

"But not the ring," Luke clarified.

"You could probably give him a rubber band and Edward would be thrilled," I agreed. "He wants to be asked."

"God, I hope you're right Perrie." Luke pointed to another ring which the woman swiftly retrieved for his inspection.

"Hey, no cold feet." I bumped his shoulder with my own, trying to cheer him up. "Don't get angsty unless he says no."

"And if he says yes?" Luke asked, turning the ring over in his palm before slipping it onto his own finger.

"That's a whole different matter."

"How are your feet?" he asked.

"Toasty warm," I assured him, before adding, "most of the time."

"And the rest of the time?"

"I wear thick socks."

Luke's lips pressed into a thin line before he turned his attention back to the task at hand. "Thanks for coming along with me on this. The press would have a field day if someone snapped a photo of me here alone."

Here was the most extortionate jeweller it's London's premier private jeweler. I'd never heard of the shop until today. No wonder the shop was the Royal family's jeweler. Each piece cost a king's ransom.

"I am the perfect alibi." I leaned closer to the glass, my breath fogging the pristine surface. "I need to buy a wedding band myself."

"I don't think you can give Jade a rubber band." Luke smirked as he teased me.

"Probably not." At least not with the whole world dissecting every decision we'd made about the wedding. I sighed, struggling to convince myself that public expectations didn't matter. The fact was that they did. The closer I grew to Luke, the more I longed to see the rest of the family stop merely tolerating one another and actually love each other. I wasn't about to admit that to Jade though.

"This one," Luke said.

My pocket vibrated and I nodded encouragingly while I dug my phone out.

"Very nice choice," the girl behind the counter opined. "That's brushed 14-Karat white gold and of course these" she pointed to two thin rings on both edges "are also 14 Karat."

The number on the screen was unfamiliar but I recognised the area code. I silenced the call with trembling fingers and put my phone back into my pocket.

"Are you okay Perrie?" Luke asked.

"Yeah," I lied, pretending to look at the jewelry case. I stepped away as they discussed price and tried to turn off the sudden onslaught of fears the phone call had provoked. Running my fingers along the glass, I paused as a simple band caught my eye.

"May I show you something?" A man in an expensive tailored suit stepped from the shadow of the of room. I nodded and gestured to the ring that I had just spotted.