5.

*Perrie's Pov*

(Five weeks later)

I paused in the doorway of the bistro to scan the tables. I was late thanks to the discovery of two more places me and Jade hadn't had sex. I'd dressed in a rush, opting for a simple dress and my favourite Louboutins. Favourite because I could stay upright in them despite the fact my legs were still shaky from this morning.

Luke waved to me from a table near the outdoor patio. As I navigated to him, the murmurs of people seemed to swell behind me. I did my best to ignore it.

"Perrie Edwards everyone, she makes an entrance wherever she goes." Luke stood in greeting, waiting for me to take my seat.

"Don't remind me," I said, lowering my voice. "Apparently this is lunch and a show."

"You do eventually stop noticing Perrie," he promised me.

I hoped Luke was right. For now, though, I decided to live in the moment. How often did I get to meet up with one of my favorite people for lunch?

Priorities, I told myself firmly.

We ordered quickly so we could focus on catching up. In the whirlwind of the last few weeks, I'd spent less time with Luke than I'd have liked.

"Dare I ask how the wedding is coming?"

"You just did." I curled my lip.

"That well, huh? At least the world is ready."

"I also have a countdown going," I assured him. The thought of the number of media outlets currently guessing about everything from my dress to how I would wear my hair was mildly disturbing. Truthfully, even I didn't even know what I was doing with my hair.

"One week," we said together.

Saying it out loud sent a flutter of butterflies whirling through my belly. I rubbed it absently, wishing that I could control my anxiety a little better.

"Speaking of." Luke reached into his pocket and drew out a black jewelry box.

"Oh! Edward's ring?" I asked, grabbing for it.

He snorted. "No Perrie that's your ring for Jade remember?."

"Oh my God." I gasped.

"You forgot!" Luke accused.

"I didn't forget," I hedged. "I simply put it in the back of my mind."

"Anything else you want to sell me?" Luke asked.

"My head is in so many places I'm forgetting things left and right. Sometimes—"

"One week," Luke repeated soothingly.

"Hope for Jade's sake that I don't lose my mind before then," I advised Luke as I pried open the jewelry box's lid. My breath caught when I saw it. It was as simple as I remembered. There was something about seeing it about knowing what it represented that knocked the wind out of me. Taking it from the case, I turned it over in my palm. No beginning. No end. Just like us. My eyes landed on the delicate promise engraved on the interior band and my heart leapt.

For always.

Two simple words to say so much. Jade asked me to marry her with those words. Next week I would give her my final answer. My promise.

I blinked against the tears welling in my eyes. Carefully putting the ring back in the case, I wiped away the evidence of my sudden surge of emotions.