8.

*Jade's Pov*

Today is the day I'm finally getting married to the girl I love.

"Well?" I held open my arms.

"Perfect!" Luke assured me about my tuxedo. "Perrie won't be able to keep her eyes off of you."

"I'd prefer that she couldn't keep her hands off of me."

The door to my bedroom opened and my mother strode in uninvited.

"You look nice, how are you liking the house?" She asked me.

My eyes narrowed as I tried to read her. Everything with my mother was a trap. The only way to avoid becoming snared was not to move.

But that was not an option.

"We're settling in. Perrie is a little overwhelmed, of course." I kept my answer light but I chose not to thank her. It was my birthright to claim residence at Clarence House, There was no need to flatter her with false gratitude.

"I'm certain that she is."

"With time, it will be easier for her," I assured my mother.

"That brings me to the point of my visit." She turned to Luke and smiled wanly. "Can you give us a moment?"

Luke glanced to me, no doubt wondering if either of us would be left standing when he returned. Bowing his head, he exited the room, pulling the door closed behind him.

"This is unnecessary," I warned my mother. She'd come to levy impotent threats about the legitimacy of my marriage to Perrie. Over recent weeks, she'd been increasingly resistant to discusse about my security concerns. It seemed she'd chosen my wedding day to remind me that today's ceremony was a ruse.

"As you know without my sanction of this marriage, it will be considered invalid in the eyes of the state. Any children Perrie bears to you will be illegitimate and not awarded the Royal status."

I gritted my teeth, an angry swell burning through my blood. I'd expected her resistance to my marriage but that did nothing to alleviate my fury. "We are having no children, so that should not be an issue."

Shock flitted over her face. It was the first time she had looked genuinely surprised for as long as I could remember.

"You see," I continued, "you've taught me quite well mother. Children are a duty, a cross to be borne for the sake of the monarchy. Regardless of legitimacy, I see no need to taint the Royal blood any further with my perversion, as you call it."

"I assume your bride is aware of your preference for this Jade?"

I nodded. We had discussed it. Undoubtedly there would come a time when Perrie would question that decision but I was certain by then she would understand the full responsibilities that came with the crown.

"I suppose issues of legitimacy are of no importance to you then."

"None at all." My response was firm, She'd expected to sway me but I couldn't be positive what her end truly was.

"You've been quite clear on your decision to marry Miss Edwards," She mused, "but despite my refusal, you've not exercised the one option you truly have to ensure your marriage is legal."

"You've made it clear that I've had no options," I said through gritted teeth.

"Rescind the throne Jade." Her words hung in the air between us. They were neither a suggestion nor a demand. It was a statement of fact.

I did have an option but it was one I was unwilling to exploit. Not while Perrie's life was in danger.

"I'd expected you to," She continued. "You've made your distaste for your birthright obvious enough."