Chapter 13

Me and Merlin went to spend the day together by picking herbs in the forest which Gaius was running low on. It was always so great to spend time with him. "I've missed this" I glanced up to see if I had caught his attention. "Me too Row, but things had to change even though its different doesn't mean it's bad. We are still in the same kingdom." I knew what he was saying was true but it was still hard to get over. The past few months had been a whirlwind. Finding out I was a nobleman's daughter, leaving for Camelot and then being taken in by the king himself. It was all quite extraordinary and that sort of thing shouldn't happen to a girl like me. Before I could think about the past and present any longer a loud screech causes me and Merlin to quickly turn towards the horrid noise. Revealing a strange creature running straight for us.

"Come on Merlin we have to get out of here". Dropping whatever we had we took each other's hands and pulled one another along. The creature wouldn't stop running after us. Merlin glanced behind him so he didn't realise the small rock in his path leading to us both falling to the floor. It kept edging closer to Merlin and was about to kill him. "Merlin move!" he didn't and he just closed his eyes anticipating the pain.

Out of nowhere a dark haired young man came from the trees and began to fight it off. The beast backed away but not yet fleeing. He continued to hit the beast with his sword however the creatures armoured skin shattered it after several blows. He turned to us shouting run. And we did as he had said. He pulled Merlin and me up from the floor. He let go of merlin once he found his feet but no me. His strength pulled me further and further away from the sharp claws behind me. We ran between the trees desperate to get away. The young man still held my arm in a way that was not too harsh but insisting that I kept the pace up. Finally, we spotted an opportunity Merlin and our saviour ran a few paces ahead of me. Merlin jumped over and crouched down out of view from the beast. The handsome gentleman waited for me to catch up then lifted me over next to Merlin where he joined us after.

Thankfully the strange creature flew away after losing sight of us. Merlin watched as it flew away in awe but I noticed the young man beside us seemed in pain, before I could question this Merlin spoke up first. Out of breath he spoke "You saved my life...I'm Merlin and this is Row". The two hook hands "Lancelot". That was the only word before he fell unconscious, his hand dropped revealing a nasty cut in his side. We had to get him back quickly. Merlin got the horses while I stayed with Lancelot. With both our strength we manged to pull the muscular man onto my horse. I rode back with Merlin sharing a horse in canter wasn't particularly ideal but we had to get Lancelot back.

Gaius managed to patch Lancelot up pretty quickly and reassured us he would be fine. He lay there on the bed with a slight fever but would pass quickly with the herb Gaius managed to give him. Me and Merlin waited anxiously for our rescuer to wake up. He was quite handsome and had a kind heart from the few minutes we had met. There was just something about him that was so extraordinary perhaps it was his courage, he could have easily let us be killed but instead he fought the beast as well as he could. "He'll be alright Row, in fact he's waking up as we speak. We will be able to thank him soon!" He was most certainly going to receive that from me.

Gaius went over to his patient waiting till he was fully conscious. He explained where he was and what had happened. Lancelot was so calm not even a little panicked. Merlin made his way over next and I'm sure he was expressing his thanks, I noticed the small smile Lancelot gave his new friend. Merlin helped Lancelot out of the bed which was probably a request. He then noticed me stood by the window, I saw his eyes scan my outfit and face probably recognising my station. "My lady" he bowed slightly even though I'm sure it caused him pain. "No please don't bow and call me Row. I am indebted to you I'm most certain without your help we would both be dead". He was so humble and calm with his words, whenever he spoke it made me feel slightly strange. "I could not stand by and watch a death of a lady and her friend when I was in a position to help." He really was amazing! "Merlin here is my brother but not by blood, we grew up together and I missed spending time with him. He went to fetch some herbs in the forest so I decided to come along and that's when we met you". Our conversation carried on as we talked about where he had come from and what his dreams were in life but that was what shocked me.