Chapter 20

Rows POV:

Gwen had really outdone herself this time. Together we walked down the hall towards Morgana' room. We had all decided to go as a party instead of individually. Morgana was always the one to bring up the handsome young knights in the room and how much she wanted to impress them and see them in awe of her. Both Gwen and I giggled as she continued on until we were at the open doors.

The hall was loud and bustling with nobles, everywhere you looked there was either a servant with a plate of food or a group of rich men and women stood together gossiping about who knows what. We made our way to our usual point in the room where our table awaited. We stood behind it patiently waiting for the king to begin.

The fanfare sounded and in came Uther Pendragon clothed in his finest, the crimson red cape drifting across the floor smoothly. Behind he was his son, the sandy blonde hair shone brightly in the candle lit room he wore a similar outfit. Underneath the red robe with the golden dragon crest was his spotless chain mail, which clearly was all thanks to Merlin.

He looked up to where Morgana, Gwen and I stood and smiled. You could see that he was nervous and trying desperately to hide them. Uther was now stood near us well a metre away and Arthur was knelt before him.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and of its dominions. According to its statues, customs and laws laid down before your forebears?"

"I do Sire" A smile climbed across my face, knowing he would one day rule this kingdom and I was excited to see his ways of ruling.

"Do you promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgements?"

"I do Sire". I knew he would when his time arrived. Arthur was not a killing man but he would defend his people and those he held dear.

Uther held out a sceptre in front of his son before continuing the ceremony "And do you swear allegiance to Camelot now and for as long as you shall live?"

Arthur's hand took hold of the golden sceptre which held a ruby stone at the top "I Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples".

Uther walked towards the side towards a young boy who held a crown, he held it in both hands walking proudly back to where his son still knelt humbly before him. "Now being of age, an heir apparent. From hence forth you shall be crowed prince of Camelot". The room filled with the applause of every person in the room in fact it was quite deafening. Al the people in the room had smiles plastered across their faces and even the King himself displayed one which was quite a rarity. Arthur rose from his knees standing proudly before his father and to his people, today was truly a great day!

Arthur's POV:

The nerves were rising as I walked through the path cleared for me. It felt never-ending. I kept my eyes to the floor but then raised my eyes to find the blonde-haired girl who seemed to always calm me down. Never understood this feeling I got when I saw her.

Father and I had reached the end of the walk, Morgana and Row to the side of where I was stood, they both wore magnificent gowns. Morgana' was a rich purple with a navy-blue shawl but Rows was the total opposite. She always chose to wear paler colours which matched her skin tone perfectly. This evening it was a mixture of different green and blue colours along with some white lace. Her golden hair shone like the sun n a clear day as is cascaded down her lower back.

My father completed the ceremony and crowned me Prince. Tonight, would be a fantastic celebration, looking around seeing the people's happy faces as they sat down at their banquet tables. I was sat on the right side of my father with Morgana and Row to his left. The two women were laughing at who knows what but knowing they were happy was a great thing to behold. My father spoke to me about how proud he was of me, which I had never really known. We spoke about this for quite some time and I told him of how I thought he didn't really have much affection for me due to my mother dying in childbirth. 

Everyone had finished their however many course meals and were now just sharing in conversation when my father stood up beside me and put his hand onto my shoulder firmly. The room changed to silence and everyone's eyes were upon their king.

"Thank you all for coming to this truly momentous day and celebration of my son! To conclude our festivities, I think it's now time for a dance". He looked to the musicians and they began to play the most joyous tune. The many guests flocked to the centre of the room and began dancing with their partners smiles clearly across their faces.

My father sat down and looked towards me. "So, my son who will be your partner" he glanced over to the two ladies who were sat beside him clapping along to the music. I smiled knowing exactly who I would ask, she's the only one I can hold a conversation with and not arguing. "I will most likely ask Row". My father raised an eyebrow at me with a smirk across his face. "Have you taken a liking to her?"

"No!" I knew I replied too quickly and my father noticed it too. I mean I didn't think I did, but I didn't know what I felt for her but whatever it was I knew we had some kind of bond. "Just get up and at least go and speak to her". Who knew he could be so pushy, I hadn't known him to be like this before.

I did as he said though and walked just a few paces to his left where I stood at the side of the table waiting for her realise I was stood there. And soon enough she letting out a little squeal and raising her hand to her heart. "You startled me Arthur!" she was soon enough laughing which always put a smile on my face. I glanced over to where my father was watching the pair of us interact, noticing I had caught him out I saw him chuckle lightly to himself and then began chatting to his ward Morgana.

"Would you like to join me for a dance Lady Row?" A slight rosiness came across her cheeks before agreeing to come with me to the dance floor.

"I would love to Prince Arthur".

I extended my arm for her to take and I felt her small hands hold onto me. We approached the centre of the hall and a new song began to play. "I must warn you Row I am an awful dancer!" she giggled "Not as bad as me I hope".

The dance was thankfully very simple as it was mainly us just walking two steps forwards then one back. Row was on my right holding onto my much larger hand. My father was directly in front of us clapping along to the song with Morgana doing the same the two both shared a wide smile. "It's lovely to see your father having a merry time don't you agree?" I looked down at her as she watched the man who had really become a father figure to her. "Indeed, it is. I think your part of that reason though."

She glanced up confused at what I could me. "I very much doubt that I am responsible. I believe he is happy to see his son become a strong independent young man of age to take his rightful place as crowned prince."

"I suppose that is the reason tonight but, since you have been in Camelot there's something very different about him. He is more caring and protective over those he loves. Beforehand he was very independent". I knew she was too modest to believe me but she needed to hear it. Her being here had made more of an impact than she may have believed.

The rest of the evening consisted of both me and Row dancing for many more hours before we were practically on the floor from exhaustion. We bid everyone goodnight before heading off to our rooms.

Seeing as Rows wasn't too many corridor's away I decided to walk her back. From the start of the evening to now. Strands of her hair had lost their curl.

The carved wooden door was in front of us now and we both just stood there. "Well um- thank you for walking me back. And thank you for the most wonderful time tonight, I so enjoyed myself". I reached down to take her hands in mine feeling like I just had to say something but nothing would come out. "Your company tonight made it worth staying". She shyly looked to the floor when I brought her hand up slightly where I lay a kiss before quickly walking away leaving her with who knows what reaction.

Why was she making me feel so uneasy?