Chapter 25

Merlin's POV

Me and Arthur had arrived now with the other knights at the cave which we had tracked whatever that creature was to. We could hear its growls and if we entered we'd be at a disadvantage due to lack of light which meant we had to be more alert and on our guard.

It was extremely quiet and of course the beast knew we were there. The knights separated with me and Arthur in order to explore the tunnel quicker and find out the where abouts of the best.

I was holding the only light we had, a single torch, while Arthur was ready with his sword checking every corner it could possibly hide in. We had now reached an area filled with human bones from skulls to bones from the legs and arms it smelt awful and witnessing such a thing was horrendous. Both Arthur and I turned towards the area we heard a near hissing sound. "What is it?" I asked him, I hate to admit it but I was beginning to feel very uneasy. Arthur told me to hush so we could attempt to hear footsteps or any other noises to help us figure out where this thing was hiding.

We then heard a noise behind us immedietly looking back but again nothing. When we turned back around the beast was staring right at us growling and squealing. Arthur pushed me back out of the way so that he could face this creature. He swung his sword in every way possible trying to land a fatal blow and try to intimidate. I decided to head to higher ground where I could distract it with the torch. From the few seconds Arthur was out of sight the beast had knocked him on the floor and was standing over him.

"Hey! Over here!" The creature moved its attention to me as a waved the only light source around to urge it to come closer. I used my magic to enchant Arthur's sword with the same spell I used to kill the griffin. A blue light shone as it pieced the thick skin of the questing beast killing it instantly.

I ran straight down to Arthur who lay unconscious on the rocky floor. "It didn't bite you, it didn't bite you!" I shook him several times not getting a response. I lifted my right hand from his arm and blood lay upon it. So, it had bitten him. I screamed for the guards to come and within minutes they were at Arthurs side carrying him out of the cave. We had to get him back to Camelot.

Row's POV

It had been hours since they had left and still no sign of them until 2 guards came running into the throne room which me and Uther were sitting in. He was asked to go to Gaius immediately. "Stay here Row!" was he orders but how could I.

I waited for Uther to leave and then I made my way out, I wouldn't risk standing outside Gaius's door but I would definitely be standing by the window looking out on the courtyard. I was waiting or about 5 minutes when I saw the knights returning but no Arthur or Merlin. Where the heck were they? Palace workers were busy walking through the courtyard carrying linen preparing our rooms with fresh sheets. My heart beat rose immediately when I set eyes on Uther and who he was carrying. Arthur was in his arms he didn't even look alive.

My hand raised to my mouth as tears began to form in my eyes. He promised he wouldn't get hurt! Was he dead? Questions like this were swirling through my head. Uther dropped to the floor on his knees still holding his son. 4 knights came from either side of him picking their Prince up and bringing him inside. I could see blood on his neck his eyes were closed his usual tanned face was so pale.

"What happened? Is he alive?" I walked with the knights until we reached Arthur's bedroom. "Yes, my lady the Prince lives. Merlin told us that the beast has bitten him. Gaius will be up shortly you must wait in your room." I didn't follow them into his room I watched as they lay his motionless body down keeping his head raised with pillows. The knights waited till Gaius arrived and the king was close behind. He asked Uther to remain outside while he examined the bite and fatality. So now we were there together waiting for an answer. "I thought I told you to wait in the throne room." His voice dull and feeling-less as imaginable.