Reader x Max

I walk into the elderly home, as usual. The smell of dust balls and petunias wafted through the air. You're average Joe would normally gag and the scent of those two smells mixed together, but I was used to it. I worked as a volunteer at the home for about a month now, and absolutely loved it. some say I have a soft spot for the wrinkly and old of the human population, and they're not wrong. I approach the front desk, to retrieve the keys to my usual elder's room. I show off my ID, a picture of me a month younger with my same old smile spread across my face. The front desk girl, gave me the keys.

"Thank you."

I head upstairs, swinging the keys around my finger, and whistling a tune. Step after step, I get closer to the room. I reach the top of the steps, and make a right. At the very end of the hallway, was a small white door. I walk towards the door, and use the key to open it.

But, it was already unlocked? My heart beats faster, was someone here before me? Mrs.Darwin shouldn't be strong enough to lock the door. I quickly open the door to see a man wearing the same volunteer outfit as me assisting Mrs.Darwin.

"Who are you!?" I yell out, prepared to whack the man at the side of his head with... I look to my side, a chair.

He hushes me. Does he know his situation here? I can very much report this man to the front desk. "You're going to disrupt Mrs.Darwin." He says, looking up at me briefly before going back to assure Mrs. Darwin that everything was going to be alright. I strut towards the man, "Who are you?" I say, brows furrowed.

He raises a brow, "Uh Max?" He's acting like I'm supposed to know who he is. "Well, Max. I'm sure you have the wrong room. I have been helping Mrs.Darwin this past month, so if you could please leave--"

He chuckles, "Oh. This past month?" His smile makes me question. "Then it makes sense that you're taking care of Mrs.Darwin over here. You see..."

I shake my head cutting him off, "No. No. I wasn't aware another person was going to simply take my patient."

He scoffs, "You're patient?!" He shakes his head, "You have no clue what your dealing with here lady."

I cringe at that word. I'm probably the same age as this guy. Probably even a little younger. I groan, "Let's take this outside." I look at Mrs.Darwin who just sat in her hospital bed staring outside the large clear glass window behind Max. She seemed so peaceful, it would all go to waste if she were to be disrupted by me yelling at Max. He as well looks at Mrs.Darwin then proceeds to go along with my plan. He goes outside and I follow him out.

"Okay first off. Don't call me lady. My name is Y/N. Alright?"

Max rolls his eyes, crossing his arms and then meets my gaze. "Yeah. Yeah. Look Y/N. I volunteered here longer than you have. I have assisted Mrs.Darwin with every step, and swallow, and every crap she had to take. So go find another patient will you?" I frown, "No."

He raises a brow again, "Oh really?" I nod, "Yes really. I mean, why do I have to get a new patient? Why do you want to stay with Mrs.Darwin so badly?"

He sighs, "Well I needed to service credit---" I stop him, "You just used her for your own gain? How selfish of you." I say shaking my head in disappointment. He groans, "Let me finish my fu---" he looks at me and sighs, "Let me finish what I was saying. I needed the service credit, but I already had enough by my first month volunteering. I've been working here for the past year. The only reason why I wasn't here for the month you worked was because I was helping out an old friend with this summer camp. So please just get a new patient."

I think about it.

"No." I frown, "I wasn't told about this. Mrs.Darwin, I've grown attached to her!"

Suddenly inside the door we hear the sound of something collapsing. Both of us exchange glances, before rushing inside the room. Mrs.Darwin was collapsed on her bed, holding onto her eyes. Max rushes at her side, before I get to say anything. "Mrs.Darwin! You don't look at the sun, okay?" As Mrs. Darwin continues to groan, I take notice to how Max is treating her. He really did seem sincere when he said he has been helping her for over a year, and he seems sincere now. I smile, "Max?" He glares up at me quickly, before going back to help Mrs. Darwin, "What?" He says.

"You really seem to know what you're doing. You know even despite being intimidating, you're really a kind soul." He looks back up at me, with a slightly kinder expression. "Oh..." He smiles, "Thanks." I look behind me, "I guess. I'll take another patient. Tell Mrs.Darwin that it was my pleasure to assist her."

Before I make it out the door Max calls out my name, "Y/N! Maybe we can do it together?"

That statement..

It made me happy.