Chapter 7 - Battle Stations!

CHAPTER 7

We'd been sailing for three days straight now, and Leonardo and I had become dab-hands at avoiding each other for the most part of the voyage. We'd occasionally bump into each other as we were going about our daily routine, but we would just pretend like the other was invisible.

It was a hard task, to pretend that a devilishly handsome young Italian man didn't exist when I came face to face with him, but somehow I had managed it.

I was currently sitting up on the poop deck with the Captain, who I now came to know as Captain William Kelly, and a few of his crew who had decided to come along and play cards. It had become a regular thing for me to join him and play some sort of game every evening, and sometimes just talk, to while away the time.

We were playing poker, and the stake had somehow ended up being me. Whoever won the game got to spend the rest of the evening with me, and if I won, I could do whatever I wanted for the rest of the evening with no chores in the morning. I had agreed to this because the hand I had was very good.

I had a Full House, which was a very good hand indeed. Little did they know, I had grown up playing these sorts of games, and knew all too well how to cheat by bringing a few choice cards along and hiding them up my sleeve. When no one was looking, I slyly merged them in with the otherwise rubbish hand of cards that I had been dealt.

Smith and Freeman had already folded, and now it was between Captain Kelly and me. I was positive that he was bluffing.

"Cards on the table then, Miss Sullivan," he said, smiling. His eyes really did look very warm and welcoming when he smiled. But I still didn't really trust him much further than I could spit.

I tossed my cards down on the wooden barrel which we used as a makeshift table and smiled smugly at him. "Full house."

"Interesting," he said, stroking his beard. "Unfortunately, it doesn't beat four aces." He scooped the small amount of money off the barrel and into his hat. "Looks like you'll have the pleasure of spending the remainder of this lovely evening with me."

Now it was his turn to smile smugly at me, and it took all my self-restraint to not just slap the smugness from him.

"Brilliant," I said sarcastically and smiled flatly.

"Don't worry, I'll be nothing less than a gentleman, as promised."

We both got up and as we walked towards his cabin, Leonardo was stood over the side of the ship on his own, just watching the sun begin to set behind the ocean.

He turned as we walked past him, and I could sense that he was still watching us with a mixture of curiosity and resent as we both entered inside Captain Kelly's cabin.

His cabin was probably the nicest part of the ship I had seen so far. It was warm and cosy with two oil lamps burning in the far corners either side of his bed, casting a dreary orange glow over the rest of the room. There was a rocking chair beside his bed, and I pulled it a little further away and sat down as I admired the paintings and various objects around the room.

I heard the door slam shut next door, and I guessed that Leonardo was now angry for some reason because I'd been spending a lot of time around the captain.

Well, I had every intention of winding him up as much as possible that night if he was angry at that. He had no right to be jealous after what he said to me!

I would see to it that he drove himself mad trying to figure out what the captain and I were up to while I was alone in his cabin.

Kelly kicked off his huge boots and laid down on his bed, propping himself up against the headboard. He reached into a little stand beside his bed and pulled out a half bottle of rum.