Chapter 9, Part 1 - Torture

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait. To make up for it, I wrote a hella long chapter and I'm putting it up in two separate parts so it's like I never missed an upload at all ;)

Don't be a silent reader! There's nothing that brightens my day more than seeing you guys vote and comment on my books! If you're enjoying this story, then please do vote on each chapter and if you feel like it, pop a comment in too!

I love you guys!

Enjoy the chapters! xx

*****************************************

CHAPTER 9 - PART 1

I raced back up to Captain Kelly's cabin. My clothes felt cold on my skin and clung to me because of the dampness.

I was out of breath when I finally arrived at his door. I didn't bother knocking, just walked straight in. He was sprawled out on his bed, shirt undone and no blankets. His skin shimmered with sweat but I could see that he was shivering in his sleep.

His arm was hung down over the edge of the bed, but thankfully, there didn't seem to be any more blood, only that which had dried.

I stepped closer, careful to not make a noise, and inspected the limb. Luckily, someone had already cauterised it. The skin was red and blistered where the red hot metal had welded his wrist back together.

I examined Kelly's face. He looked pale and slightly withered. He was very lucky indeed to still be alive, because judging by the way he looked, he had lost an awful lot of blood.

I carefully touched my fingers to his forehead and quickly retracted them again at how hot it was. He was so hot, he put me to shame. See what I did there?

He stirred slightly in his sleep and then slowly, his eyes opened and came to rest on me.

"B-Bessie," he rasped, struggling to speak through the shivers.

"Shh, go back to sleep," I whispered. "I was just making sure you were okay." It occurred to me then just how sloppy that sounded, and made a mental note to pretend to not be as doting.

His eyes were glazing and I knew he was zoning in and out of consciousness. His jaw chattered beneath his beard.

"Mutiny," he confided, looking me blearily in the eyes, before he zoned out completely.

I dunked a rag in his water and placed it on his forehead, and then another around his neck.

That was all I could do for now. I needed to get myself out of the damp clothes I was wearing, so I took some of Kelly's which were folded up on top of a shelf and then shimmied out of my own, throwing on the clean and, more importantly, dry clothes.

Kelly was a big man, slightly taller and more broad than Leonardo, and definitely a Golliath in comparison to my small frame, so it was no surprise when his shirt hung on me like a curtain.

Before I had chance to sit down on his rocking chair, someone pushed open the already broken door.

It was Vaughn.

Someone had let him out of the brig.

He strode towards me and grabbed me by my hair, dragging me painfully behind him onto the deck outside.

He came to a stop and yanked me up so that I was standing properly. Leonardo was stood in front of me, being held at knifepoint. He didn't meet my eyes.