Chapter Nine

Mikhail was standing in the shallows, taking in the view, and watching Ashley as he rode every wave he could. Dalton came splashing into the water beside him, surfboard in hand.

"You coming?" He asked excitedly.

"Yeah, I might in a bit."

Dalton shrugged before running into the water, flattening himself onto the board as he paddled out to Ashley. Mikhail closed his eyes, raising his face to the sun, feeling the rays soak into his tanned skin.

Julia had been watching all of this from behind, but she shrugged to herself, before running up behind Mikhail. In an easy movement she swept his legs from underneath him, and he fell with a big splash into the water. Julia was keeled over in a fit of laughter, and was unable to see Mikhail struggle into a standing position. Mikhail was smiling through the water that steamed down his face from his hair, as he gathered Julia up in his arms, holding her tightly so she couldn't struggle, and he walked into the depths.

"Mikhail, don't." She warned once she realized what he was doing, and also that she couldn't escape. She managed another shriek of "Mikhail." As he threw her –quite far –into the depths of the water. Tee, jean shorts, sunglasses, and all.

Julia splashed around uselessly, trying to right herself, before getting to a standing position, she straightened the Ray Bans on her face as she looked to Mikhail, who was bent over, holding his side in laughter. She watched as his frame shook with silent laughter, winding down before he took a huge gasp of air and continued. Julia tried to be mad, she tried to keep her face impassive, but it was impossible, she burst out in her own fit of laughter as Mikhail started yet another bout of giggles. She realized then, Ryder, standing at their towels, his mouth open in hysteric laughter, and Veronica laughing at her place on the sand. Turning, she could barely make out Ashley, head thrown back with whooping laughter, clapping his hands loudly, both boys were straddling their boards, and Dalton had his head bent, his frame shaking with supposed laughter.

"You guys are all assholes!" Julia yelled through laughter, gesturing to them all, she was starting to get a stitch in her side as her laughter deepened. She thought she made out Mikhail saying: 'you... look like... an ... angry... cat.' But she couldn't be sure, because he had barely enough breath to laugh, let alone speak.

***

By the time Landon and Alexis had joined the group, everyone was lounging on the sand. Alexis was carrying her bikini, the sun was warming up now, but when they had gotten out of the water, the morning air had still been chilly, so Landon stood patiently as Alexis shucked the bathing suit for her dry clothes. As they neared the group, Alexis noticed Julia's clothes, wrinkled with water, lying out on the hood of Landon's truck, and Julia sat with the others wrapped in a blanket.

"What happened here?" Alexis said, gesturing to the wet clothes. Giggles broke out through the group, and Ashley burst out in a loud guffaw. Alexis smiled at the reactions, and waited for an explanation.