2

Mia hurried to school and opened the doors. She bounded to her locker and got her stuff before racing to class. She wondered what it would be like to have the gift of speed. I would never be late again, She smiled. 

As Mia sat down in her seat, many other people came in through the door. Including her crush, Max. He had blonde hair and blue eyes, and was taller than most people. Maybe I'll have the gift of love, and I'll be able to make others fall in love.

The bell rang, signaling class to start. "Okay class, today we will be learning about Christopher Columbus and his discovery of America." A small, slender young woman walked into the room. She had her soft brown hair down and she wore a regular shirt and a denim skirt. She was their teacher, Mrs. Spring.

Maybe I'll be a clothes designer, Mia thought, studying Ms. Spring's stylish outfit. Or a teacher.

"Christopher Columbus was an Italian explorer. But one day, he wanted to sail around the world and get to the Spice Islands, which we talked about in our earlier lesson. But Italy wouldn't give him the money, so he went searching everywhere for a country that would. And so he went to Spain, and they said they'd pay for it, but he had to bring back spices." Ms. Spring went on and on, but Mia was busy thinking about what her talent or gift would be.

Maybe I'll be an explorer and sail around the world. Mia thought. Or maybe I'll be a farmer and grow spices in the East Indies.

"Mia, Mia, did you here me?" Ms. Spring was glaring at her along with her other classmates. "Where did Christopher Columbus sail instead?" 

"Um, the East Indies?" Mia guessed. 

"No, he found America, you need to LISTEN okay?" Ms. Spring said sternly, her piercing brown eyes shot frustration in Mia's direction. 

"Yes, Ms. Spring," Mia sighed. Today would be a long day. She wished her birthday would come a little sooner.

***A few days later***

"...Happy birthday to you!" her family finished. They all cheered as they let up balloons into the sky. 

Mia was so excited. She had gotten a new outfit, a book, and best of all, a puppy! He was a mutt with long floppy ears and brown fur. Everyone in her family on their birthday got something special, but Mia considered her gift the greatest thing she had ever gotten! She held the small ball of fur now as she blew out her candles. 

It was late at night, almost ten-o-clock. The sky glimmered and shined as if the night was a black cloth that had been poked with holes to create the silver light of the stars. The breeze swiftly raced by, its soft hum filling Mia's lungs with clean air. The Tree of Destiny's leaves rustled in the wind, catching the light of the moon and showing their red tint. 

In just a few hours, her dream could come true, and her destiny would be revealed.