6

Mia awoke to see herself in some kind of tree house. She had been sleeping on the leaves from the trees, which were surprisingly comfortable.  She stood up and looked at her hands. They were normal. She sighed with relief at not seeing wolf paws. 

Suddenly, a person came through the door. She was wearing a sheet of leaves and cloths, tied together to make a beautiful hand-made dress. 

"Good sunrise dear!" She said cheerfully, walking over to Mia.

"I'm Amora, of the Falling Leaves Tribe." Amora explained.

"I'm Mia." Mia said, wondering if she should trust this strange woman.

"I see you are confused. Well, we are Indians. But you and your people, of your town have kicked us out, throwing us into this forest. Some of us saught revenge. But the rest of us wanted peace. So we split into two groups, Falling Leaves, and Tall Shadows. Luckily, you were saved by the right group." Amora said.

"Why is this forest so.....unusual?" Mia asked, remembering the strange animals that had almost killed her.

"After you got your gift, or curse, from the Tree of Destiny, it remembered it had been a decade since the last cursing. So, it shadowed itself, and the only way to get it to go back to normal is to find the seed that can bring back its magic." Amora said. "But, when the tree turned to shadowing, the forest, turned to a more....unusual state. A more dangerous state. But, it will all go away, when you get the Seed and bring back the Tree's health."

"So the Tree is getting old, so instead of a gift it gave me a curse? So I have to give it a special flower to make it go back to normal? But will I get a gift and I won't have to deal with my curse anymore?" Mia said hopefully.

"Sorry, but that's not how curses work. Now, let me show you the rest of the Tribe..." Amora lead her out of the tree house. Mia gasped.

Many colorful tree houses decorated the tree branches. Indians covered the ground, working on making salads or food. While others climbed high in the tree getting down fruit. It was beautiful.

"We have decided to give you a partner to work with so we can have our forest back. His name is Akea." Amora stepped out of the way as a tall boy came forward. He had black hair and tan skin. He was around her age, wearing brown cloths tied together to make pants, but he had no shirt. His muscles buldged out of his chest.

"Hello, Cursed One of the townsfolk. I am Akea, son of Ike, Tribe leader. I am the strongest of my people, here to lead you along your quest to find the Seed." Akea said.

Mia rolled her eyes. "Don't call me Cursed One. My name is Mia."

"Yes, Mia. What a cursed name..." Akea said dreamily.

Mia raised her arm to slap him, but Amora pushed it back down. "You'll get used to him." She whispered. 

***