8

"Thanks," Mia said, spitting out some water as she regained her consciousness. 

"For what?" Akea asked.

Mia rolled her eyes. "For saving me silly!" Mia pushed Akea playfully. "Maybe....Maybe your not so bad."

"You're not too bad yourself," Akea said.

"Whoa wait. Did you just compliment me?" Mia opened her eyes wide.

"Uh, I guess." Akea shrugged. 

Mia smiled.

***

Thunder roared above them as the two people made their way up a large mountain. Rain poured down on them as if a giant was crying from up above. Mia shivered in her cold, wet jacket.

Mia slid on the mud, falling back. Akea managed to grab her hand before she fell onto a big rock. Mia smiled as he helped pull her up. He had stopped bragging about his social life, and now he was much more likable.

Mia grabbed onto a slick tree trunk and said in an exhausted voice, "Can we rest now? I think we should just stay here and wait out the storm."

"Yeah, but I'm sure there's more shelter up higher. I don't want to sleep here." Akea pointed to all of the slimy trees and bushes covered in mud and moss.

Mia shrugged. They continued to go up, and up. 

Suddenly, Mia heard something. "What's that-"

Mia was cut off as a wave of mud, sticks, and rocks were thrown at them. "MUDSLIDE!!!!!!!" Akea yelled before he started running as fast as he could.

Mia followed, trying to keep up. Suddenly, Akea was slid and hit into a rock, and suddenly, he had disappeared in the swarm of brown.

"NOOOOO!!!!!!!!" Mia screamed. She tripped suddenly on a tree root and fell down a slippery tunnel. The mudslide went over the tunnel and Mia kept going down, down, down.....