chapter 33

“Max?” I whispered.

“Shhh…” He mouthed and put a hand over my mouth.  He gently pulled me forward and down the steps. We headed out the back door and were quickly moving across the lawn.

  “Max wait.” I said attempting to pull back but I couldn’t.

“Max where are we going.” I made another attempt to stop him but he just kept moving faster toward the gate.

“Max!” I screamed with all my weight pulled back. He was caught off guard and I dropped to the ground.

“Heather what is wrong with you!” his eyes looked incredulous as he stared at my body on the ground.

“What’s wrong with me? You’re dragging me out of my house and not even telling me where I’m going!” I snapped and got up wiping the dirt off my knees.

“Oh, well I guess I can see why you would be upset but I was just trying to help you escape.” He smiled a guilty smile and held out his hand to me.

“Max I can’t just leave.” I laughed at how easy he thought it would be.

“Jake will have the world looking for me, and the ball is tonight!” I gasped just remembering myself that it was tonight and I had no idea what time or anything.

“Oh, you actually want to go to the ball? And live here?” He gave me a sad look like I betrayed him.

“Max I barely know you, why would you want to help me escape.” I crossed my arms and gave him an I-know-your-secret look.

Max definitely had a thing for me, but stronger than I thought. I hope I didn’t lead him on or something, but yet again I think I was at Amber’s party.

“It's not like I’m asking you to marry me or something.” He muttered and looked embarrassed.

“No but you want to have a bunch of angry vampires hunting you for me.” I challenged and tilted my head to the side.

“I thought you said you hated it here.” He changed the subject and looked dead into my eyes.

It caught me off guard, the question and his eyes. His eyes were hurt and accusing like I wasn’t the person he thought I was. Why this even bothered me I don’t know, maybe because I kind of liked Max.

“I do, I mean I did, I don’t know!” I threw my hands up and sighed.

“I guess I’m just starting to realize that I have to accept my fate, I’m tired of being miserable all the time fighting it.” My thoughts were tumbling out of my mouth and I sat down registering it all.

Max sat down too and moved closer to me.

“You can always change your fate; the future is forever changing based on people’s decisions.” Max grabbed my hand and rubbed circles around it.

“Maybe I don’t want to change it.” I mumbled and looked down at the ground watching ants fight over a crumb.

“What happened? Why are you so different?” Max asked not in an angry way but in an honestly curious way.

I debated if I could trust him with what happened between me and Jake earlier.

“Can you keep a secret?” I asked with a smile.

“For you I can.” He flirted and I blushed.

“Okay, so I guess Jake has to feed from me once a week.” I scrunched up my nose and he laughed.

“Yea, it’s so you don’t get sick.” He grabbed onto his ankles and stretched his legs.

“Well yeah so he was um… feeding from me and while it was happening-“