Chapter Four

[Adrian's P.O.V]

I stared blankly down at the note, my heart stuttering and lurching like a broken down motor. Confusion was probably the most dominant emotion that coursed through me, stunning me. Then, as I stood there, rereading, anger began to boil. What the hell? Was this a threat? A warning? Who the hell-

 The blare of the truck's horn made me jump a good foot in the air. I looked over my shoulder to see Sam waving wilding, a distinct look of annoyance on his face as he continuously pressed down on the horn. I saw Caleb in the passenger seat, ignoring the guys as they tried to draw him into conversation, eyes fixated solely on me.

Swallowing thickly, I crumbled up the innocent looking note and stuffed in into my back pocket. I ran a hand shakily through my hair, wondering what the hell was going on. Who had done this? TT? Did I know a TT?

Head spinning, I stumbled my way up the path. I climbed into the pick-up truck and started the car, my fingers trembling on the steering wheel slightly. The blood was rushing so loudly in my ears I could barely hear the guy's animated chatter in the background - not that I wanted to listen to their normally graphic conversations.

The whole drive back to the garage I was on autopilot. The more I thought about the note, the more logic began to war with my irrational.

It was a joke. It had to be. I mean, why would someone threaten me? I was the quiet girl in the back of the classroom, one who never picked fights or had any enemies - except Jenna, of course. But it was highly doubtful that Jenna would ever do something so childish. She wouldn't bother writing it on a note. She was more of a say-it-to-your-face kind of gal which was one of the only things - besides her perfect teeth - that I actually admired about her.

Hell, even her evil scheming was impressive.

So lowering herself to a stupid note?

Not likely.

But...if she didn't write it...

Who the hell did?

                                                                                ***

[Caleb's P.O.V]

I stared at Adrian as she drove, and much like this morning, her eyes were staring blankly at the road, her teeth nibbling on her small, plump lips. Seriously, it was a wonder the girl hadn't wrapped us around a pole already considering her head was someplace elsewhere far away.

I watched, transfixed, as a whole display of emotions flashed across her expressive face, all disappearing as rapidly as they appeared, replaced by different ones. She'd been like this all day, closed down and silent - a dramatic difference from her usual bouncing energy and open smiles. But it wasn't her reserved attitude that had my senses on high alert. It was the nervous flickering of her eyes as she scanned the roads, as if she expected someone to come crashing into the street. Her knuckles were white, stretched tightly over the steering wheel.

This made me nervous in a way only Adrian could make me feel.

I hated the small the smiles she'd given me today - the ones that didn't reach her chocolate brown eyes - and the way her whole body tensed whenever I touched her, as if she was repulsed by my touch or something.

Frowning, I decided to test my theory. I reach out to place my hand casually on her bare knee. I ignored the way my stomach clenched at the sight of her sensual sun-kissed bare skin, the velvet softness of it as I hesitantly caressed it with my thumb, waiting to see her reaction.