Chapter Seven

[Adrian's P.O.V]

Once my choking fit had passed and I was able to breathe properly, I wiped away tears that clouded my vision. My whole body was vibrating with anxiety; fear so thick it was clogging my brain. My fingers trembled violently as they gripped the note. I felt like a drug addict in the throes of the worst stage of rehabilitation, deprived of their drug. 

"Oh god," I made little gasping sounds, unable to stop my eyes from rereading the note again and again.

Revulsion twisted my stomach when I glanced down at the pasta, finally breaking contact. The knowledge that it hadn't been my mother who had made it but a stranger...

My hands flew to my mouth and I sprinted for the bathroom, throwing open the door and throwing up abruptly, body heaving violently over the toilet seat.

Coughing and gasping at the same time, I struggled to balance myself when the worst part was over, pushing back sticky strands of blonde hair from my face.  My arms and legs shook so badly I had to crawl over to the sink and use all the weakened muscles in my body to stand. Grasping the sink to keep myself upright, I took in deep breaths, trying to slow my erratic heartbeats.

Caleb, was the first coherent thought that penetrated the thick haze of fear jumbling my thoughts.

Shakily running my hands across my forehead to wipe away the cold sweat that had built on my skin, I glanced up at my reflection and flinched. My face was pale, drained of all colour, my hair hanging in sweaty strands around my face.

Caleb.

Turning on the facet, I splashed the cold water against my face, trying to regain some semblance of sanity.

Okay...calm down...breathe...everything is going to be okay...just breathe...

Squeezing my eyes tightly, I tried to re-evaluate what just happened.

The pasta. The note. The choking.

Oh god! Somebody was in my house

My breathing hitched and my heart rate speed up again, my stomach coiling and lurching sickeningly. I clutched my stomach, feeling that if I didn't my intestines might come puking back up. I moaned and backed up against the wall, slowly sliding down, keeping my eyes shut.

 Once on the cold tiled floor, I wrapped my arms around my knees and buried my face in between my legs, taking in deep, composing breaths.

After a few minutes of regaining systematic thoughts, I pried open my eyes, blinking the tears off my wet lashes.

Call Caleb, the rational part of my brain urged.

Don't! The other side panicked at the thought of Caleb seeing me in this state. Don't call...just...calm down.

Lacking the energy I needed to do to listen to the rational part of my brain, I simply sat there until the racking shudders that controlled my body passed, leaving me confused and alarmed.

Okay, I thought to myself, so someone was in your house. No need to panic. So what if some idiot is sending you these creepy notes? It could be mum trying to play a joke.

I immediately crossed that off the list. The note was signed by the same name as the note in the café on Saturday. Whoever it was, they were trying to freak me out or scare me. They were successfully doing both.

I moaned. God, what the hell was going on? TT? Who the hell was TT? And why in the world were they sending me these notes?

More importantly, how did they get into my house?