Chapter Nine

Sorry to those who expected this earlier...I've been busy with exams and stuff, and not to mention was sick for a while...but I soldiered on so hopefully you enjoy this chapter even though I'm not entirely happy with it. Let me know what you think about it :D

I know it's short, but it's just a filler. The next chapter is gonna blow your mind ;)

________________________________________________________________________

[Caleb's P.O.V]

After the coffee date with Tanya - although why she would want coffee after just having come off a shift at a coffee shop completely eluded me - she offered to drop me home seeing as how I didn't have a car. I really had to look into getting one. 

The date had gone surprisingly well and I was glad it did. It at least made lying to Adrian worth it.

No. No it didn't. Guilt was eating at my insides and it kind of felt like sharp talons were tearing at the edges of my heart. That was how bad it felt. 

If someone asked me why I chose a date with a waitress over resolving things between me and Adrian, I wouldn't know. I guess it was because I didn't want to admit to her just how much she affected me and how I couldn't stand it any longer. I couldn't stand the half smiles and the lying and the way her brown eyes - the eyes that haunted my every waking moment - filled with a distance that I felt I couldn't cross. Maybe because I didn't want things to go back to normal between us. The way I saw it, no matter which way you spun it, it would always come back to lying. At least now we were open about lying to each other, if that made any sense. 

But then she arrived at the cafe, willing to tell me what was eating at her, to break the awkward tension between us...to finally reconnect...

What did I do? I lied. 

Could I be any stupider?

Yes. Yes I could. 

 That moment proved true when Tanya kissed me.

To say I was surprised when Tanya threw herself into my arms would be an understatement.

When I didn't immediately pull away, too shocked to do anything but stand there like a dumb-ass, she must have taken that as a 'go head' sign and threw her arms around my neck, tugging our bodies closer.

And for a moment...I let her. 

This might sound terrible, but having a small body pressed against mine...I could almost imagine it was Adrian in my arms and not a girl I had no emotional connection too. I imagined Adrian's soft lips pressing against mine, her body melting against mine, clinging to me like I was the last lifeboat on the Titanic. I tightened my hands on her waist, dragging her closer. I curled my hands in her hair, wanting to feel the fluffy strands running through my fingers.

Reality crashed back into me when I felt unfamiliar silky strands.

Abruptly I pulled away, gazing down at unfamiliar hooded brown eyes. Brown eyes.

But not her eyes. 

Thoroughly disgusted in myself, I hastily wiped a hand over my mouth. Eyes wide with incredulity, I gaped at her.

"What the hell?" I demanded, too dazed to really comprehend what just happened.

Tanya shuffled back, shrugging her small shoulders, a too innocent expression on her face. "I thought a good-bye kiss was in order. I had a fantastic time by the way," she added with a cheeky grin.

Still gaping at her in disbelief, I shook my head to clear it. Immediately my head swerved to the house and, sure enough, I saw Adrian peeking through the drapes. As soon as our eyes connected, she turned away, the curtain falling behind her.