Chapter Nineteen

[Adrian's P.O.V]

"So...you have a stalker?"

Kat and I were seated on the kitchen bench while Caleb and The Cousin's took up lazy positions around us. Dallas was, typically, rummaging through Kat's fridge, stuffing anything he could in his mouth. I expected Sam to be doing the same thing, but instead he leaned casually against the sink, his eyes narrowed on Kat with an intensity that wasn't exactly threatening, but calculating and curious. I could tell Kat was unnerved by his stare by the way she kept fidgeting and smoothing down her shirt. She'd throw occasional glares his way since she wasn't over the whole 'kidnapping' thing.

"Yeah," I nodded tiredly, leaning heavily on my elbow which rested on the kitchen bench. I rubbed the back of my neck with the other, trying to message the crick in my neck.

The note I got before I found Caleb sat in the middle of the bench, staring at me tauntingly, daring me to read it again - to remember that even though Caleb was back in my life, I still wasn't free.

I felt him move up behind me. Even though business between us still wasn't sorted, it felt good to have him near me, where I could see him, touch him, feel him again. Hell, I could still taste him on my lips. Knowing that he was with me gave me the strength I needed to momentarily forget about my stalker.

Why did I ever think I was better off without him?

When he placed his hands on my bare neck, my eyes shut automatically. His hands were cool on my damp skin and my body instantly melted back into his chest. When he moved his hands to fully wrap his arms around me, I placed my hands over his which were intertwined on my stomach. He rested his chin on my head and I turned my head slightly to breathe in his musky scent.

When I glanced back at Kat, I saw a wide smile spread over her face. I glared at her warningly but she just shook her head.

"Do you guys have any idea of who it could be?" she asked and I smirked when I saw her purposely ignore Sam. His glower said he wasn't happy about that. Sam wasn't the type of guy to be, or appreciated being, ignored.

"It's Jason," Caleb said, his voice firm and confident.

Kat's eyes went wide. "Jason? The kid you just went out with?"

I winced when Caleb's arms tightened around me, not painful but enough to let me know he wasn't happy. "So it's true?" he murmured, low enough for only me to hear. Kat, having caught my wince, shot me an apologizing look.

I ignored her and whispered back. "What's true?"

"That you went on a date with him?" his voice was full of disgust when he said that.

I bristled, and forcefully ripped out of Caleb's arms. "Excuse us for a moment," I growled, grabbing his hand and jerking him into the bathroom, silence following us as the others wisely kept silent.

I slammed the door shut and leaned against it, crossing my arms over my chest and glaring up at Caleb. The bathroom was small and didn't give us much space.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I demanded.

"I know about your little date with Jason," he glared right back. "Jenna told me everything,"

"Jenna?" I asked, completely confused. A second late realisation dawned on me. "She told you where I was!"

"Yes," he hissed, "And it was a good thing she did or else I wouldn't have found you,"

I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose. A headache was rapidly building in the back of my head and it wasn't helping matters. "Wait, let me get this straight. Jenna Tyler, the most untrustworthy, manipulative girl on the planet - who by the way hates my guts - told you, the guy she's trying to seduce, that I was on a date with her twin brother? Do you not sense the deception in this?"