Chapter Seventeen

[Caleb's P.O.V]

"Caleb, baby," Jenna purred in my ear. "Been a long time,"

"What are you doing calling me in the middle of the night, Jenna?" I demanded, flicking on the bedside lamp. I struggled to sit up.  

"Can't a girl call a guy at any random time of the night for a little chat?" she teased.

"I'm not in the mood for games Jenna. I'm hanging up now,"

"Wait!" she cried predictably. "Don't hang up! Please."

I narrowed my eyes on the desk where Adrian's AC/DC shirt was carelessly discarded. "What do you want?"

Jenna sighed dramatically. "Listen, I just wanted to give you my condolences."

"Condolences?" I asked, my brain too foggy to fully process what she was saying.

Jenna made a sound of confirmation in the back of her throat. "Yep," she popped purposefully on the P. "I mean, no one else saw the way you looked at Adrian. I saw it, though. Come on, I'd be completely blind not to see,"

Confusion, confusion...

I sighed and leaned back against the headboard, squeezing the bridge of my nose. "What are you taking about, Jenna? Stop rambling."

"I'm talking about you and Adrian," she said happily, then added as an afterthought. "Or, what used to be you and Adrian. I don't blame her though. Jason is a really sweet guy. Too sweet if you ask me,"

I sat up a little straighter, my attention focusing on what she was saying. Jason? How the hell did Jason faction into my relationship with Adrian?

"Jenna," I said in a low, warning voice.

She must have caught it because she paused for a little bit before sighing. "Listen, I didn't want to be the one to tell you this," - Lie - "But I'm really worried about what would happen if I didn't tell you," - Lie - "So here it goes; Jason and Adrian are going out later tonight. As in date style."

Truth.

"I don't believe you," I growled, my anger and disbelief audible in my tone.

"Oh yeah?" Jenna challenged, her voice tinged with annoyance. "Do you know that for the last few hours that's all I've been hearing from my twin? I love the guy but I want to kick his ass every time he mentions that bi-" she cleared her throat and I imagined her neck in between my clenched hand. "Er, Adrian's name,"

I shook my head in denial. No. It wasn't possible. Adrian was gone. She wouldn't go on a date; especially with Jason Tyler of all people.

"If you're so convinced this is true," I said in a measured voice. "Then where is she?"

"Oh," I could hear the way Jenna the importance of location away dismissively. "Jason and I are visiting our dad so were practically in the country, a couple of hours away. Like seriously, this place is dis-gus-ting. Hey, I know! You should come down and see it for yourself. And if you need a place to crash my door is always open-"

"Send me the address," Then I hung up, unable to stand her voice any longer.

I slumped back, rubbing my hands over my face. A few seconds later I heard the buzz of my phone as Jenna sent me the text.

I knew Jenna Tyler. While she was a conniving witch, I had a feeling she wasn't lying about Adrian. Well, about Adrian's location anyway. I didn't believe Adrian was actually going on a date with Jason. She wouldn't do that. She knew how much I didn't like the kid.