Chapter Six

[Adrian's P.O.V]

School was dragging, badly. Seeing as how it was a Monday, students slogged around, faces drawn and tired from the late night weekend. Some were even still recovering from the party Hector Rodriguez, captain of the school's soccer team, hosted on Saturday night, zombie-faced.

Jenna, however, a big party-goer, looked absolutely fantastic in her school uniform - which should be physically impossible considering how hideous it was. Her red curls bounced with life, her blinding smile stopping some guys in the hall to gape at her - or more specifically, at the red lacy panties she wore.

How did I know this? Because she was currently bending over in front of me and Caleb.

 "Good God," I muttered, grabbing Caleb's arm and immediately turning him away. Surprised at my sudden change in route and attitude, Caleb stumbled and gripped the strap of his bag. What made me not turn back around and slap that smug smile off her face was the fact that Caleb didn't seem interested at all in her peep show. If anything, he looked disgusted.

Yet it didn't stop my building fury towards her.

 "Shameless socialite," I grumbled.

Caleb chuckled and threw his arm around me.

"Daughter of a preacher," he agreed.

We grinned at each other cheekily, taking a different route to lunch.

As per usual, our gang was sitting outside on a park-like bench. Looking at Caleb and his reputation, from an outsider’s perspective you would assume our group was the type of group where everyone was into the same rock bands and all played instruments or something along those lines.

You couldn't have been more wrong. 

 Firstly, because I couldn't play an instrument for shit. Caleb, on the other hand, was a pro with an acoustic guitar. Again I found myself wondering how the hell I was best friends with this otherworldly creature.

Or maybe that was just my recently discovered obsession for him that thought that.

"Hey Caleb!" Tony shouted from across the field. He waved briefly before continuing his conversation with Cara who was watching him with wide eyes, nodding animatedly, admiration shining brightly on her cute face. Looks like I wasn't the only one helplessly in love. Poor Cara.

When Tony had called out it drew the attention from the rest of the group. Nodding briefly and smiling at us, they turned back to whatever they were doing. Or most likely, plotting.

Kelly and Shawn had their notepads out, heads bent down as they scribbled down notes furiously. Shawn even fixed his glasses and rolled up his sleeves, hinting that he was in 'the zone'. Kelly, seeing this, flipped her pony tail behind her, glaring, flexing her fingers. That was her 'shit's 'bout to get serious' glare. Both of them set to work on whatever competition they conjured up.

Sitting beside them on the grass were Frankie and Taylor, the twins, who were gossiping and giggling, their eyes avidly following any movement a passing guy made, commenting on their butt, body or face. As vain as the twins were, their sweetly considerate personalities gave them a soft spot in our interesting group. Also, they were the best when you were having a bad hair day. Packed with hair straighteners, eye-shadows and eyelash curlers, the twins were a deadly force if you ever had the misfortune to wake up a complete disaster. They were kind of like the SES for teenage girls.

"Hey guys," I greeted with a smile, collapsing beside Cara who sent me a quick smile before returning her full attention to a glowing Tony. Obviously he loved the younger girl's attention. Who wouldn't? Cara, much like the twins, was attentive and funny, though unlike the twins, wasn't vain about her looks. Tony wasn't the best looking crayon in the packet but he was a funny kid, which I guessed was why she was so interested.