» 08: Arkham

Remember a couple weeks ago when the crime in Gotham just went cold turkey. Well, surprise surprise, it has happened yet again. "Okay Bats, this is the second time this has happened, don't you dare tell me this is a coincidence," I stated, gesturing to the crime barren city.

He grunted in response.

"Do you think something's up?" I pressed on, leaning against the Batmobile while he gazed out at the streets.

"Possibly."

"Possibly? Don't you mean definitely?" He glanced at me slightly, frowning at my correction. It looked as though something was on his mind. "What? Do you know something I don't?"

He ground out a "Yes." I sat up straighter, giving him my full attention.

"Well?"

He seemed to debate with himself for a moment, before he closed his eyes with a quiet sigh. Turning to face me, while rubbing his face tiredly.

"Three weeks ago, Deathstroke escaped from Arkham, which is when all this began to happen." He gestured to the barren streets. "Unfortunately, none of the League has been able to find him-"

"And you didn't think to tell me this? One of the people he tried to kill only two months ago." I pointed out, thinking back on our encounter.

"We are giving you two months to hand yourself over to him, or he'll be killing that little team you seem to have befriended. Oh. And I'm sure Batman's assassination can be arranged as well. I mean, Bruce Wayne can't always be on guard outside the suit, now can he?"

A familiar sour taste coated my tongue as I narrowed my eyes at the ground.

"I didn't want to worry you, I thought the League would've found him by now." He explained, narrowing his eyes in concern. "You haven't seen him, have you?"

"Oh. And don't tell anyone about this, got it?"

"How would I have seen him, if this is the first time I'm hearing about his escape?" I lied with a breathy laugh, looking up at him. "But, you should've told me this the second you found out, Bats. Not leave me in the dark when my life is potentially in danger." With your lives now in danger..

"I know and I'm sorry."

"It-" I sighed. "It's fine I guess. You were only doing what you thought best. But, now we have to figure out where the hell he is, and what he has to do with the random crime drops in Gotham."

"You think he's connected to all of this?" He asked.

I shrugged half-heartedly, scoffing. "This is Deathstroke we're talking about. He's always involved."

"If so, then I know exactly where to go to get information."

"Where?"

"Arkham." He stated simply.

"Arkham?" I repeated, shooting him a look. "What information can we get from there?"

"A certain clown is still locked up there."

"So? What makes you think Jokers going to talk."

He smirked as he opened the batmobiles door, jumping in. "Jokers always willing to talk."

"My my. Look what we have here. My favorite hero and my least favorite hacker." Joker spat, glaring slightly at me. "Dear Ol' Batsy finally got himself a sidekick. The position fits you R, you always seemed the type to take orders like an obedient mutt." He ended with a smirk. Obviously hinting at something. I suppressed a growl. Stupid clown.

"Yeah, well this mutt bites clown, so I'd advise you take that disgusting mouth of yours and shut it." I spat, taking a step forward.

"Enough." Batman broke in, "Tell us what you know about Deathstrokes plans."

"Which ones?" He grinned. "The ones about starting a war between hero and villain, or delivering dear Ra's a package?"

Panic immediately set in. "What war?" I quickly asked, hoping to steer Batman away from the second part of his statement, for now.

So, it was Ra's Al Ghul who sent Slade after me. Why..? I've never had any connection with him before. Hell, I made damn sure of it too.. So how does he even know about me? I narrowed my eyes in thought as the clown continued.

"You've probably noticed. How all villains completely disappear?" Joker grinned up at us, his restraints clinking together as he moved his hands a bit across the table. "They're planning something- something big, and tonight they're going to make a their move."

"What are they going to do?" Batman asked, his body tensing slightly as he gave off a threatening vibe. Joker seemed to love it. Hell the guy was practically soaking all of this in like some kind of sick high.

"He told me, right before he broke out that he'd come back, and break everyone in here out too." A deep chuckle danced in our ears. "He even chose tonight to do it, and what a pleasant surprise when he realizes the two of you are in here as well! It's like killing two birds with one stone!" He stood quickly from his chair, his restraints tugging from the table as I got into a defensive stance, Batman remaining calm. "Instead of having to

"When will he attack?" Batman asked, his tone dark and venomous.

Joker looked at a clock hanging on the wall in the room, his grin growing.

"Now."

As that word left his mouth, an explosion shook the building, throwing me off my feet. The alarms blaring red soon after, ringing in my ears.

Jokers laugh grew louder as the sound of roaring inmates screamed from behind the door.

I looked at Joker from my spot on the floor, his eyes locking with mine as his laugh quieted, Batman busy yelling into his comm. "It seems that you will be making your decision early, R. Not that it's going to save anyone you love. Not anymore."

- To Be Continued -

Author Note:

Check out my new book! (:

Thanks for reading!!

- JJ