» 09: Hello Darkness..

"Hello, darkness my old friend~"

"Robin."

"What? It's dark. Hence the perfect moment to be singing such a song."

A glare was sent my way as Batman clicked on a flashlight, illuminating the debris-filled hallway. You know what, Batman is the embodiment of that song. All gloom and doom with not one single shred of happiness.

Joker whistled bedside me, his cuffs clinking together as he walked. "Deathy sure did a number. Not a single soul in sight! Do you think their bodies are buried under the rubble?" He directed his question towards me, his disgusting smile reaching ear to ear. Literally. "How about we play a game of scavenger hunt and look for them?"

"Can it, clown." I snapped, cringing a bit away.

"Always so rude." He tsked, adorning a frown. "How is it anyone's taken an interest in you? With that attitude and terrible taste in fashion!"

The sounds of inmates shouting could be heard a bit of a way away, multiple walls reduced to nothing but burned rubble. I took slow cautious steps, eyeing the red pooling out of the cracks in the piles of rocks. My breathe faltering a moment as I caught sight of a bent and broken hand pinned between a couple slabs of cement.

"How long until the League gets here?" I asked, looking around wearily. It's been a good twenty minutes since this all has begun, and my nerves have done everything but settle. According to the crazed clown, Deathstroke was here. Like, in this damn building with me. That is definitely not good news for anyone. What if he talks about the whole choosing sides thing while Bats is here? What would Batman even think once he found out? Would he get mad I kept such information from him? Probably. But, he also kept information from me, so wouldn't that make him a hypocrite? There's also the slight chance he may give me up to Deathstroke. I mean, it's not like I'm his most favorite person in the world.

I felt my insides clench at the thought.

"They should be here any moment. In the meantime, we should be scouting the area for any staff members that may have gotten hurt in the explosion." Batman spoke up, pulling me from my depressive state of mind. "As well as Deathstroke."

"Ah, Deathy. How I miss you." Joker sighed to himself, a content smile gracing his features. "Let's hope it won't be long before we're reunited."

"This sounds like some Romeo and Juliet shit." I deadpanned, glancing at Joker. "Well, let's at least hope the ending is the same. That would take care of all my problems."

And of course, this would be the perfect time for a cliche laugh to echo into the room. A drawn out sigh escaped my lips, whilst Batman positioned himself closer to my side.

Jokers arm roughly in his grasp.

"Deathy! Is that you?!" Joker called ever so joyously. His body giddy with excitement as he lightly pulled in Batmans grip.

"Unfortunately no." A scratchy and rough voice spoke, not at all sounding like my least favorite mercenary. Thankfully. "But, I presume you much rather have him than I."

"Oh boo. It's you." The madman frowned, all excitement draining from him.

"Robin. Get behind me." Batman softly spoke, using his free hand to gently push me back. I didn't even argue, any sane person would want to get as far away from this guy as possible.

"What do we do?" I asked, ignoring as Joker conversed with our newest obstacle.

"Stall. Just long enough for backup to arrive."

"And how long do you think that will take?"

"Hard to tell." He admitted, his eyes narrowing as our newest guest adjusted his worn glove, a subtle glow coming from the long needles positioned on his fingertips. I hid more as I saw a few drops drip out of the tips and splatter onto the rocks beneath their feet. A light cloud of gas immediately trickling into the air- thankfully not enough to harm us for now.

"I've been specifically told not to kill the boy." He spoke from beneath his tattered cloth mask, pointing to me. "But, that doesn't mean I have to spare his mind." He chuckled, dropping a small pellet.

I felt my body shudder as a clear smoke attacked my senses. My throat had immediately gone dry while my head quickly began to swim. "Robin! Don't breathe it in!" I heard Batman yell, using his cape to cover his mouth, whilst he let go of Joker, using his now free hand to cover my own. My vision became distant as I watched Joker and Scarecrow run away.

"Bats.. they're getting away." I pointed out, trying to make a move after them. My whole body immediately felt like lead as I slumped slightly. 

"Don't worry about them, we'll find them later." His muffled voice spoke as he lead me out of the smoke-filled room. Escaping outside through one of the holes caused by the explosions.

"Dick!!"

My head whipped to the side as I looked for the owner of the voice.

"Robin, focus." Batman's voice called me back, his fuzzy face clearing a moment as I looked at him.

"Did you hear that..?" I asked, blinking slowly.

"You're already hallucinating," Batman stated with worry, reaching into his belt and pulling out a small shot filled with a strange colored liquid. He grabbed my arm, pulling down my glove to reveal more of my skin. "I take it you've never been exposed to fear toxin before. Probably why it's affecting you so quickly."

"Dick please!" I looked around once more. That voice sounded so familiar..

"Hold still, this is going to hurt a little-ahh!"

I toppled to the ground from the force of Batman being smacked away, he himself landing on his back a few feet away from me.

"Help.." The world started to swirl around me.

"I cannot let you help the boy, Batman." A heavy accented beast of a man spoke, taking a defensive place in front of me.

"Bane." Batman groaned out, rolling to his side.

"You have been a lifelong foe of mine for far too long. Now is my chance to destroy your pitiful existence." Bane stated, cracking his knuckles whilst more of the green liquid pumped itself into his body.

"Dick.. please help us.."

I grabbed my head as I let out a groan, my vision flickering in and out.

"Robin! Hold on, don't give in!" Batman called ever so distantly.

"I'm- I'm trying.." I gasped, hunching over some more. My head exploded. It was like a hammer had split through my skull. I felt a scream slip through my lips before everything seemed to stop.

"Why won't you help us, Dick?"

My eyes snapped open, the entire scenery changed. The room was pitch black, but the bloodied and twisted body in front of me was clear as day. It felt as though the air had just been sucked from my lungs. My arms falling and hanging loosely from my sides as I continued to stare wide-eyed at the woman in front of me.

With my lip trembling, I called out, "Mom?"

- To Be Continued -