》13: Murderer

I continued on, my mind racing as I looked for Deathstroke.

"Dick?" The familiar archer's voice called, halting my pursuit.

"Oh hey, Hawk-Eye!" I greeted, lacing my words with a false cheerfulness, as I sent her a much-forced wave. "Shouldn't you be out stopping baddies with the rest of the kiddie league?"

"Yeah." She said slowly, eyeing my movements. "I saw you run by and wanted to see if you were okay? You had us all pretty worried when we found you.. y'know.."

"The last flying Grayson is getting ready to fall!!"

I subtly winced. "Oh." Quickly, I breathed out a heavy laugh, rubbing the back of my neck. "Yeah. That wasn't too cool of me. Pretty disastrous, honestly. Heavy on the dis-." My heart felt as though it was beating out of my chest, I have to suppress the tremors of fear coursing through my body. Does she know I got away from Bats? Is she going to try and take me back?? I mean, I'd like to see her try..

"But yeah! I'm super! Feel like a million bucks!" I continued, slowly easing myself away. "You have nothing to worry about, so go back to helping the others and I'll join you in no time!" I lied. "I just gotta go grab some guy I saw sneaking off this way, so-"

My words caught in my throat as she ran up to me. Arms securing themselves, as she held me in a tight, trembling hug. "Please stop." She pleaded. "I know what's really happening and I know we don't have much time. But, please don't lie to me."

"How-?"

"C'mon. My family is a bunch of crazed villains that made me watch the look in people's eyes as they killed them for fun. You think I wouldn't notice?" She laughed dryly.

I swallowed past the lump in my throat as I laid my head on her shoulder. Arms hanging loosely at my sides. "I see.."

"And I know I can't stop you." She continued, the feeling of tears- her tears- dripping onto my face. "But, I want you to try- no. You have to come back to us. Alive."

I almost scoffed. How is that possible?

"I promise," I stated, pulling back to show her a lopsided smile. "Someone's got to keep the team in check, and I myself think it's about time I join. As your new leader!"

"Good luck on that." She smirked, wiping away stray tears.

"Already doubting me. Tsk tsk." I said with a shake of the head. Swallowing down the growing lump. "But, I gotta go, Arty," I stated with an apologetic gaze. "That guy isn't going to catch himself. "

"Okay. See you around, Pixie Boots." She smiled, waving me off.

I waved with a smile, picking up my pace until I was out of sight, my lips immediately turning upside down.

|》《|

"So, you've finally decided to show your face?" He asked, his voice smooth and menacing, as his eye glinted from within the shadows he cloaked himself in.

We were alone.

The roar of battle continued to rage on around us, more hero's presenting themselves, whilst the number of villains continued to double. Gazing around, I could catch the glimpses of fallen soldiers- the only way one could describe all of them at this point. Hero's on the verge of death, whilst doing everything in their power to preserve the life of the sinners. Horrifically saddening.