Chapter 17

Niall could see the police lights flashing in the trees when he got close to Maisie's house, which was alarming to say the least. Why would the lights be flashing if it wasn't something serious? He parked his car and took off at a run towards the house, calling out for Maisie as he burst through the front door.

"In the kitchen." He heard her say.

Niall walked in to see an officer sitting with her at the island, writing in his notepad. Maisie's face looked pale and drawn. She was terrified,

"What happened?"
Maisie looked up at him, her eyes brimming with tears that hadn't fallen yet,

"He just came through the front door when I opened it. I didn't look out the peep hole. Why didn't I look out the peep hole?"
The officer looked between them,

"We'll file a report ma'am, but since he didn't really do anything we can't pick him up for any violations."

Maisie seemed to fold into herself, staring down at the kitchen floor without a sound. Niall turned to the officer,

"Thank you." He said, shaking the man's hand before the officer turned to leave. Niall waited until he heard the front door close to utter a sound, "Maze, ya alright?"

She didn't answer or move. Niall pulled her hair off her shoulders, he rubbed his knuckles against her spine hoping it would somehow wake her up to his presence,

"Maze?"
She lifted her head, a deep swallow stretching her neck,

"He just came in the door."

Niall rounded her body, coming to stand in front of her as he put his hands on her shoulders,

"Where the hell is Steven? Wasn't he supposed t'be here tonight?"

Maisie shook her head,

"I made him leave. He made me angry."

Niall sighed,

"Maze, ya said ya were givin' him another chance-"

"I know I did." She interrupted, her eyes finally focusing on Niall's, "Niall I feel like I'm drowning. I can't lose my grandmother and deal with my father wanting to get back into my life and rebuild my relationship with him too. I don't know what I'm doing."

Those words were a shock to Niall because if anyone on the earth knew exactly what they were doing at all times, it was Maisie.

He lifted his hand to her cheek. He didn't know what to say. Could he say anything to make this better?

"C'mon. Let's get you t'bed." He finally said.

Maisie stood up slowly, the stool scraping against the kitchen floor when she moved. Niall watched as she walked towards the hallway,

"I'll getcha some water and meet ya there."

Maisie nodded, turning to walk out of the kitchen. Niall let out a deep, pronounced sigh once she was gone. He had so many questions for her. But he knew asking them right now would do nothing but push her further into the tailspin. She just needed to get some room to breathe.

Niall grabbed a glass out of her cupboard and filled it with water. He rounded the corner of the kitchen, stopping when he saw the door of Clarice's room open. His heart dropped into his feet. The room was completely empty. The bed, the furniture, every knick knack was gone. Clarice had been gone for exactly 72 hours. What the hell?

"Maze?" He called out as he walked towards her room. Maisie was just lifting her legs to get into bed when he made it into her bedroom. She stopped, looking up at him when she heard the alarm in his voice. Niall jutted his thumb back towards Clarice's room, "What happened t'Clare's stuff?"
Maisie blinked,