Chapter 28

Janina counted backwards with the numbers as the elevator lowered she and Maisie to the ground floor. She desperately wanted to say something. To ask Maisie if she was alright or what the hell had just happened, but she decided that would be better for a time when Maisie's entire body wasn't shaking with rage.

The doorbell dinged, both girls stepping out into the lobby. Janina focused on the clicking sound her heels made on the marble floor and then on the sidewalk as they made their way to Maisie's car.

Maisie seemed to have calmed herself down on the elevator ride. Her breathing was at least less labored. Janina's only concern at this point was getting Maisie into a car and as far away from Niall as possible. However, she knew that was impossible the moment she heard Niall's voice calling out after Maisie.

Maisie froze. Janina turned to see him running after them at top speed. He too, seemed to be out of breath and just as angry as Maisie was. Janina quickly scanned the parking lot to make sure no one was around. This was gonna be a blowout.

Niall slowed to a very angry walk as he got closer to them,

"Maisie, what the hell was that up there?!" He demanded as he thrust his hand towards the top floor of the building, "Have ya lost your damn mind? Yellin' at me like that?"

Maisie shook her head, refusing to turn to look at him as she started to walk to Janina's car again. Janina quickly hurried after her, unsure of what exactly was going to happen.

Niall ran after them,

"What? You're just gonna walk away without even explainin'?"

Maisie opened the door of Janina's car and shoved her things into the backseat, shaking her head,

"You think you're the only one who was hurt around here?!" She suddenly screamed as she whirled around.

Niall was keenly aware of their surroundings and that someone could roll up onto them at any moment. He turned to storm off while Maisie took a few steps towards him,

"Oh now you get to walk away, is that how this works? I'm not allowed to leave because you'll hold it over my head for the next eight years but you get to?"

Niall whirled around, thrusting a finger out towards his car,

"Get in the car, Maze."

She shook her head defiantly,

"No, we're gonna talk about this."

He nodded, taking a few steps back towards her. His eyes were wild. Niall hadn't been this pissed off in awhile,

"You're goddamn right we are. But not in the middle of a parking lot." When she didn't move he took a few more steps towards her, "Someone around here should worry about my carefully crafted public image, don't you think? Guess that's me today." He pointed to his car, "Get in the fuckin' car." He demanded.

Janina shook her head as she watched Maisie defiantly fold her arms over her chest. Both of them were acting like two year olds but maybe they needed to get all the petty shit out so they could finally connect to the very real feelings they had for each other. She had to hand it Niall, if anything was gonna get Maisie into the car it was hitting her with the accusation of not caring about his public image. Since she had a hand in crafting it, it was below the belt.

Niall pulled out of the parking space, his tires giving a slight screech as he turned out onto the street and sped off.

Janina pulled her phone out and tapped Kyle's number,

"Hello, Beautiful." She heard him answer a few moments later.

Janina grunted,

"We should probably hunker down at your place or mine tonight."