We're Alike

"What the fuck are we gonna do about these Catalinos?" Sammy seethed with venom in his usually calm voice. His dark eyebrows were furrowed down as he paced across the At home gym with tiger like moves. My head was thinking the same question along with some ways I could kill Gio without my dad ever finding out it was me. He had taught me well enough how to dispose of a body.

"Vin?" Ralph said. I looked up from where I was bench pressing with sweat cascading down my body. Ralph gave me a look so I put the heavy bar back on the posts. Sitting up, I strared at all of the boys. They wore the same pissed off expressions that almost made me laugh. Almost.

"Pops said we can't do shit," I stated. "But I ain't about to let some new bambino come and take my place." They all grunted and nodded.  "We can't kill him, though."

"Damn! I come in here and you guys are already talking about murder!" I turned my head with a smirk on my lips. Tommy bounced into the room with his brown eyes glowing and a smirk similar to mine playing on his lips.

Tommy is my little brother. A bucket of fucking sunshine and rainbows in our fucked up line of work. Tommy is only sixteen and he is involved in this fucked up life of ours. He is what gets me through life most the time and for that I am always grateful. Even when the little shit messes with my stuff.

"What the fuck do you want Tommy?" I asked as I stood up.

He smiled. "Can't I just want to say hi to my big brother?"

"Uh, no," Leo answered. We all laughed as Tommy rolled his eyes in fake annoyance. "When do you ever come in here when you don't want something?"

Tommy looked thoughtful. "Good point."

"What do you want Tommy?" I asked with a smile.

"Pops is mad at you. You were supposed to come to the office when you got home." All laughter disappeared once those words left his lips. My body went ridged. "He wanted me to come and fetch you." Tommy looked down with his lip between his teeth. His dyed blonde bangs fell in front of his eyes as I looked at the boys.

"If I die-"

"Sammy is in charge," they all answered. I gave them a grin and then threw my arm over my little brother's shoulder. He looked up at me and gave me a half smile. The sparkle in his eyes reminded me just how innocent he was. I wish I could go back and grab a hold of that sparkle that had been in mine but I was no time traveler.

"How mad did he look?" I asked him.

"About a six," he answered. "What did you do today?"

"Some new kid sat at my table. I showed him what happened if he ever did that again and then dad came and said he was family," I scuffed. "Some family."

"The Catalinos? You fought the Catalinos!?" I looked down at him and he shook his head in disbelief. "Pops was just talking about them last night at the table! He told you to take them under your wing!"

"I'll take him under something," I answered. "Well that came out wrong," I immediately said as I thought back to my words. Tommy snorted and nudged my shoulder with his.

"Do you think pops would ever really kill you?" he asked with a serious tone. I really didn't have the answer to that. Pops always threatened me when I did wrong. Death was a weapon for him because we knew he would kill anyone. He had killed his best friend, Jimmy, when I was only in the third grade. His son, Alberto, had been my best friend and my dad had shot Jimmy right in front of him and his mom without even hesitating. Alberto had run away and we never saw him again. His Ma had been so upset she slit her wrist in her bathroom. Or so pops said.