Don't Leave Me

Blood was everywhere. On my hands, on my shirt, on my pants. Everywhere. All I saw was red. Tommy thrashed in my arms again and I held in my sob of agony as he clawed at his chest. The bullet punctured something. It had to. The way the blood kept coming meant only that. My worst nightmare had become a reality.

I gasped for air as my little brother did too. He was fighting like I taught him to. I told him to never give up and that is exactly what he was doing.

Tommy shut his eyes. "I'm s-so tired, Vin. I'm-m so-so cold," he whispered.

I cried out  in pure agony and grabbed his face harder than necessary. Trying to keep him awake was our only fighting chance.

“Tommy, keep your fucking eyes open!” I begged as he bled out in my lap. He fought to do as I said but he was losing. His hand was holding mine but his strength that I always adimired was leaving his boy slowly. My tears blurred my own eyes but I couldn’t close my eyes just like him. I couldn’t miss a thing.

“Someone call my pops!” I yelled and then Frankie had his phone out. Tommy spit blood out again and I felt my body slowly becoming numb. My brother had been shot in his chest. Shot in his fucking heart and I couldn’t do anything but hold him and hope he made it to the front door of the emergency room.

“Tommy’s been shot in his chest-- we got the money you prick!--FUCK YOU!--The hospital!” Frankie threw his phone and it cracked on the interior, metal walls. The crack made me jump as my mind flashed back to the gunshots. One of those shots had gone through my little brother’s chest. It could have been one of ours and it could have been one of theirs, but none of that mattered now because he had been hit.

Point.

Blank.

Period.

“WHAT THE FUCK MAN! HE WAS FUCKING SHOT!NOW GO GET YOUR NURSE BUDDIESAND JUST HAVE A GURNEY READY WHEN WE FUCKING GET THERE!!” Gio screamed into the phone with tears running down his face.

Everything had gone so wrong so fast. I cried harder as the Mussolini’s all huddled around my brother. This was all my fault. I should have never let him out of my sight! No. I should have never let pops let him go! This was his fault and mine.

Fucking whore.

“Vinnie, I love you,” Tommy said as blood seeped from his mouth and dripped down the sides. I tried to wipe it away but it just smeared on his pale face.

He was giving up, I noticed. He was telling me his goodbye and I refused to accept that shit. I am older. I die first. I would never have to hear his goodbye becuase I died first. I hope.....

I shook my head, escaping the fortress which amde me doubt, “Don’t you even start that shit,
 I hissed, "You are gonna make it through this, baby brother. You-you- Fuck! You can’t leave me. Please, do-don’t leave me.” I held him against me tighter as Sammy hugged me and him both and the other boys held their shirts to the wound that wouldn’t stop bleeding.

Was this God’s way of saying I need to learn my place? Was this a sign!? If it was, I promise him now that I would take more responsibility. More care with what I do. I promise to never take Tommy for granite. I promise to love him twice as much as I ever did. I promise to never give up or curse him ever again.

I promise.

“Vinnie?” Tommy whispered as he touched my face with his cold hands to my face.

“Yeah, buddy?”

I sniffled and hugged him closer. “You have to p-promise to l-love Gio. I know you don’t want to but you were meant to love, big brother. You were meant to be together. He m-makes you happy. D-don’t give up, big brother. Don’t lose that sparkle in your eyes. It’s t-there when y-you are with him. Don’t let it go.” I cried harder and held him against me so that his warm blood seeped onto my clothes.