Chapter 6

I spent hours listening to my music and going in and out of sleep. Peter hasn’t even come to check up on me, guess he's a busy guy. After a quick nap, I began to write some poetry. Well it sort of developed into a song, a beat developed in my head as I wrote it.

'A lonely girl sits in a stranger’s bed

Wondering what she could do instead

Of being bored

Don't want to be ignored

The breaking of glass rings all around

Her mind is gone

Her heart is black

With the disappointment of her own life instead

Wondering how it will all end

Trying to find all the ways to bend

The rules, they can be broken

Like her heart

It's the main cause of a darkened heart'

I sang the poem to myself until I felt someone staring at me. Reluctantly I looked to my left to see Peter standing in the corner of the tent beside the bed. In shock I gave a small scream and threw one of my books at him. He caught it, laughing as he handed it back and saying,

"You're a jumpy girl."

"Well, who stands in a freaking corner unannounced? Practically made me go into my paralysis."

"Paralysis?"

"Yeah. If I get...I mean... If I'm shocked or abruptly scared, I freeze. Can't move, speak, or breathe."

"Oh," Peter looked a bit sad. "Sorry love, I keep starling you."

"No worries. It happens in my sleep at times too. But it's a bit different then."

"How so?"

"Most of the time I can breathe....until I start panicking anyway."

There was a short silence. Peter picked up a conversation.

"You were singing. You sounded good. Even-"

I cut him off,

"No compliments, please. I wasn't singing. I can't sing well, at all. I was just-"

"Singing." Peter said with a smile.

"Nah huh." I challenged him, crossing my arms.

Peter, standing beside the bed, bent down. His bright green eyes seemed to glow faintly.

"If you couldn't sing....the mermaids wouldn't have responded to you. They had never heard that song before and never knew the lyrics till you started singing."

"How'd you know they responded to me?"

"I had a little chat with the mermaid who hurt your arm. It made me question if you had magic in the first place. Magic is unique to each individual it inhabits."

Peter smiled smugly, leaning closer. His green eyes seemed to glow brighter.

"We wnet over this already Peter. I dont jabe magic. Now, regarding the mermaid. Did you hurt her? She wasn't really hurting me. I think she only knocked me unconscious," I addressed Peter curiously.

He didn't respond, he seemed intent with his gaze.

"Peter?"

He snapped out of it and step two steps away from me and sat at the edge of the bed.

"You're eyes changed slightly..." His tone was lost.

"What do you mean?"

He handed me a mirror from thin air. They shape of my eyes were wider and the color went from dark brown to tints of green and dark brown. I nervously asked,

"This wouldn't happen to be a side effect to you going in my mind would it?"

"It's never happened before."

Then suddenly his hands were on either side of my face, staring intently into my eyes. He was so close I didn't dare speak. But I had to admit that this was creepy yet exciting. I'm a girl, what can I say, sudden actions get me anxious. Then I looked at his eyes closely.

"Peter. Your eyes...they're changing into my eye color." 

"Don't worry it should be only temporary..." again his tone was lost. But I believed him. So, I nodded and scooted away from him. Peter noticed I was moving away and distanced himself again. 

"It's probably best that I don't use magic on you for a while... there's no telling what other effects could happen." 

"I agree, Peter. But still... thank you for helping me."

Peter smiled at me then disappeared. I had to admit I felt weird by his leaving. But he came back shortly, with food. Deserts to be exact.

"What's the occasion?" I asked him.

"NO occasion. We can have sweets whenever we want here."

"Cool."

"Indeed, Lily."

I took a chocolate covered strawberry from one of the plates. It looked scrumptious. Peter was watching me intently.

"This isn't poisoned is it?"

He shook his head,

"No, why?"

I shrugged,

"You look anxious to see me take a bite."

"Honestly, I am."

"Huh?"

"The first night you came here I had a dream of you eating my strawberries."

"Your strawberries?"

"Yes, I grew them here of the island."

"Dude, that's awesome. But this isn't like a whole eat-this-and-you-can't-ever-leave thing, is it?"

"No, Lily. You question almost everything."

I shrugged again,

"I have some trust issues."

Peter rolled his eyes,

"Are you going to eat it or what?"

"Well since you're pressuring me...no. I'll eat it later when you're not around."

"What?" Peter put on a sad face but stopped when I laughed.

"Fine, fine, Peter." 

Peter sat in front of me a bit too close so I scooted a bit away from him.

"You don't like being too close to people I see." Peter said.

"Oh, hush." Then I took a bit bite of the strawberry. It felt weird and tingly going down my throat. Peter was staring again but waited to say anything till I finished the strawberry.

"Just like in my dream."

"Peter, if you dream about feeding people all the time you should be a chef."

"I only dream of feeding beautiful girls." 

I gave him a look that said: stop with the compliments. Peter continued,

"I cook sometimes for the boys. It'll be different cooking for a girl. The curiosity is ravishing."

I rolled my eyes and ate more sweets from the plates and so did Peter. 

"How long do I have to stay here, Peter? In here I mean."

"I can show you around. With my aid of course."

"If you feel up to it then definitely."

"Great." Peter stood and helped me up. To my surprise his grip was light but forceful. Kind of cool if you ask me. I stood a bit wobbly.

 "Over three days of sleeping will do that to you." Peter told me. With his hand on my lower back and the other holding onto my right arm, we went out the tent.