Chapter 7

Peter guided to through the trees to sounds of objects hitting wood and sticks banging against each other. To my delight it was the lost boys practicing fighting.

"Boys!"

All the boys stopped and looked at Peter.

"Lily is going to observe us practicing today. So NO misfires!"

They all nodded at his commands and then continued their actions. Peter sat me on a log and roamed the areas where the boys were fighting. He gave them tips and showed them defenses. When he came back to me I had to ask,

"Am I going to get a chance to do all of this?"

"Of course. I don't let my lost boys- and lost girl go about the island defenseless."

"Awesome. Can I start now?"

"Are you sure? You can wait till tomorrow."

"No, I want to do something now."

"What do you want to do?

"Honestly Peter, why do you doubt me?"

"Well-"

"Peter I was being sarcastic." I began to stand.

"Need any help?"

"Nope." I stood on my own. Walking to the archery portion of the area, all the lost boys stopped fighting and stared, but I actually didn't mind. I held the bow and arrow in my hands. Peter offered to help but I told him I'd figure it out on my own. Suddenly, a fire was invoking me. In a lighting speed, I had the bow stringed and aimed at the target and I let her rip. Every eye in the camp watch the arrow fly to the target and hit it precisely in the eye. The arrow sank deep through the material of the bullseye. Lowering my bow, I obesrved my shot and pondered over the accuracy of the shot.

"Wicked cool," I said as everything he starred at me again. Peter was standing beside me instantly.

"How'd you do that, Lily?"

I shrugged,

"I don't know, it was like it was instinctive. Maybe this island brings out the hunter in me. I always wanted to do archery...maybe I was a hunter or skilled archer in another life."

"Maybe... let's see what else you can do."

Peter took me to a dagger section and watched me throw daggers. I missed the first time but all the other tries went deep in the target. I impressed myself and all of the lost boys. Most of them have been here for years and still aren't as accurate as I was. Even Peter seemed impressed. Peter started looking at me strangely and I felt like I was being evaluated. When we came to a stick fighting section, the lost boys were gathering around us. Peter had me go against a lost boy.

"James. You'll be Lily's opponent."

I told Peter,

"I don't know a thing about fighting, though."

"It's ok, I have a feeling you'll do fine."

With that, James and I were handed five foot long sticks and he instantly came at me with it. I dodged his attack but he managed to sweep me off my legs as I dodged his initial attack. I got back up feeling a bit...wild. Blocking his side swipes was easy but after a few more stabbing motions with his stick I got very agitated and went rogue. Becoming meliciious and feeling dominant over my opponent, I dropped my stick hard to the ground. I had a running start and grabbed his stick from him as he tried to block me. With a firm grip on the stick, I pulled it from him and threw it away. Within seconds my left hand was around his neck and pushing him hard backwards to the ground. He hit the ground hard with a satisfing thump, but I wanted to do more. Witholding myself from continuing I stared at James trying to process what I'd done to him in a mater of seconds.

"Lily?......Lily?.....Lily?" I heard my name being called. After what seemed a lifetime I released my hand from James throat. Standing up I said,

"I think I'm done for the day."

I walked back towards camp, fully aware of Peter following me. It suddenly felt like a race, if I got back to his tent in time I might be able to pretend to me asleep and avoid him.

Lily wait please

Why Peter?

We need to talk

Can we talk later? Like when we get into your tent?

Our tent love.

I mentally sighed and walked steadily. Once we were in his tent, I sat on Peter's bed. It didn't take long for Peter to say something.

"Lily you have to be honest with me."

I nodded and looked at him curiously.

"Are you human, Lily?"

"Yes, Peter of course I'm human. If I wasn't I think I'd know."

"Look Lily, the way you came at James was animal-like."

"Peter I didn't even know what I was doing.I just....let go a bit. I think everything was instinctive."

"Exactly! You were acting on instinct."

"That doesn't mean I'm not human, Peter. You're human and have great instincts. You are human right?"

"Yes, I am."

"Point made. Case closed." My tone was very agitated. It started getting dark and windy outside the tent. Peter noticed the sudden change in the weather.

"Look Lily, I'm not accusing you of anything here. I'm not trying to upset you I just want to understand."

"Understand what?"

"You..."

Peter stared at me and I stared at him. We stayed like that for some time. The weather outside calmed and Peter sat next to me.

"Peter... a lot has been changing since I've been here. I telling fortunes, singing, and fighting really well. I wasn't like this before I came here. But I have to admit.... I like these changes but I want to control them as well."

"What have you felt since you've been here, Lily?"

"I feel like I'm home but I feel other things as well..."

"Like what?"

"Uncertainty. Especially around you Peter. You give off many vibes. I just don't know how to feel about you. Should I be afraid or should I trust you?"

"I don't want you to he afraid of me and I do want you to trust me but I know earning your trust isn't going to be easy. You're a challenge...something different...believe it or not but I actually need a change around here. All the boys have been feeling the same, like something was missing. Then you come along and I can't help but wonder if you're what we've been missing."

"That is...a strong accusation Peter. Don't get your hopes up though. I'm just me."

"Would you stop putting yourself down like that?!"

I just shrugged and sighed,

"...sorry..."

"Lily, you have to start appreiciating yourself more. It's not healthy for you or anyone else. What happened to make you so...so...."

"Bitter, melancholy, pensive-"

"Stop! Lily, you aren't any of those things at all."

"Then what am I?"

Peter took a second to think.

"You are a lost girl. You're lost just like all of us, but you'll find your way."

"And if I don't?"

"You will...I'll make sure of it."