Prologue

Selina Kyle cradled the bundle of blankets in her arms. The girl wrapping in the black fabric blinked up at her. Selina smiled and then pulled the black mask up over her blonde hair and eyes. Then she pulled the window up and crawled out onto the ledge. The baby gave a small wail. Selina looked down and held the child closer to her chest. "Shhhh. Mama's right here." She knew there was a risk, sneaking out of the hospital, having just given birth a few hours earlier. As soon as the doctors had okayed her child to leave, she had pulled her Catwoman costume on and locked the hospital door. The baby gave a quiet whimper. Selina climbed up the side of the building and onto the roof. Then she wrapped both arms around the baby. She gently swayed her in her arms. "Shhh. It's going to be alright. Shh." She was suddenly aware of someone behind her. She slowly turned around to face him. "Batman." She purred but his trained eye caught her holding the black bundle in her arms tighter.

"Catwoman." He said. He was unsmiling as always but he caught her tensing up even though her voice was free of any waiver or crack.

"And what brings you to this rooftop so late at night?" She asked, shifting her feet.

"What's in the blankets, Catwoman?" She held them closer to her chest.

"That is none of your business." His scanners detected that her heartbeat and pulse were starting to pick up.

"It is my business. What did you steal?" She held her head high.

"I didn't steal anything." He scowled as his scanners confirmed that what she said was true. Just then a tiny pale hand reached out from the blankets and grasped at the air. Selina looked down at her child in terror then up at Batman. He moved toward her.

"Why did you take a child?" She bit her lip then opened her mouth to respond. Suddenly she lashed out with her whip causing Batman to leap to the side. Seizing his momentary distraction Selina turned and leapt off the roof. She used to whip she swing up onto the next roof. She continued to run across the roof as she heard Batman land on the roof behind her. He gritted his teeth. Normal he would just use a boa and catch her legs but she was still carry the child and he didn't want it to get hurt. Selina sensed his hesitation and sprinted faster. Finally he didn't have any other chose and tossed the cord at her feet. It entangled her legs and she tucked into a roll. When she stopped she unsheathed her claws and cut through the cord and started running again. Finally she was two roofs ahead of him. He stopped and started after the lithe figure disappeared off the roofs and into the maze like alleyways of Gotham city's streets. Alfred Pennyworth's voice crackled to life in his ear.

"Did you catch her, Master Bruce?" Bruce Wayne shook his head.

"No Alfred."

"What did she steal?"

"A child. What could she possibly want with a child?" Selina Kyle clambering into her apartment and pulled off her mask. She was breathing hard and her heart was racing. She looked down at the child.

"It's ok, baby. He can't get you here."