Chapter 40: Well, at least I'm not completely alone in cluelessness

Dick Grayson

"They have no idea how to help her?" Selina's face was white and she was gripping the armrests of her seat. Bruce shook his head.

"No, they don't." Selina snarled.

"I thought you said these were the best doctors in Gotham? Why don't they know how to help her?" Bruce sighed and his shoulders shagged slightly.

"Because medically, there is nothing wrong with her other than a few minor injuries. There is no medical explanation as to why her memories are gone."

"Then it must be magical, right?" I interjected. Both adults looked at me. "If it's not medical, it's magical. It's the best idea we have, especially since we don't know how Music Maker got her powers."

"The Music Maker." Selina spat. "If you'd left my daughter alone, she wouldn't be in this condition." I shook my head.

"I don't think so. Cat was the one who wanted to go into the warehouse to begin with. And I'm pretty sure that the fact the music note branded her is what led to this." Selina glared at me, her green eyes flashing dangerously like her daughter's. Bruce seemed to pick up on what Selina must have been thinking.

"Now is not the time, Selina. Dick is my partner and I will discuss how things should have been handled with him privately. Right now, we need to be thinking about your daughter." I ducked my head and anger rushed through me. Bruce had no right to tell me how I should have handled the situation. He hadn't been there for any of it. Selina returned her gaze to Bruce before looking back towards the room where Catalina was currently in.

"Fine. I suppose you have some great answer waiting in the wings." Selina muttered. Bruce rubbed his face then nodded while putting his hands into the pockets of his suit.

"Not an answer. An idea maybe." Both of us looked at him. "I have an informant in Japan. Three of them. They specialize in magical arts and healing. They might be the best place to go right now." Selina frowned.

"Do you know you can trust them?" Bruce nodded.

"They've been extremely helpful from time to time."

"Why don't we try putting her in the Lazarus pit? It helped Jason." Bruce shook his head.

"The Lazarus pit is for more physical than spiritual or magical issues. I also don't think that Ra's or Talia would let us use the pit in this circumstance." I frowned.

"Why not?" Both Bruce and Selina stared at me. My face started to turn red. "Oh. My bad." There was an awkward silence for several minutes. Finally, Selina sighed.

"I don't like this, Bruce. At all." She stood up and grabbed her purse from beside her. "But it's the only idea we have." She moved toward Catalina's room, leaving Bruce and I alone. After several seconds, Bruce turned to face me.

"Please don't say anything." I muttered. "I'm not in the headspace to take any criticism at the moment." Bruce didn't say anything. He just looked at me for a while before turning back towards Catalina's room.

"Ok." That was all he said. I leaned forward and rested my elbows on my knees and rubbed my face. It had been an extremely long night. We'd gotten Catalina to the hospital and waited for news. The first news wasn't good. They thought that she may be in a coma and they were unsure of how long it may last. They didn't have much information after that. The door to Catalina's room opened and Selina exited. She ignored me and walked up to Bruce.

"I'm going to pack for Cati and I. We are leaving for Japan as soon as you can get her out of here." Bruce nodded. Selina marched passed him.

"Shouldn't you wait till we've gotten her discharged?" I asked. Selina offered me a cold stare.

"Yes. But I've got to make sure that half of Arkham Asylum doesn't go after the rest of the Batfamily while we're gone." Then she spun on her heel and left. Bruce watched her go then sighed.

"I'm going to go work on getting her discharged." Then he left as well. I waited a few moments then I stood up and entered Catalina's room. She waved awkwardly as I closed the door.

"Hey, how are you doing?" I asked, moving toward the chair closest to her bed. She shrugged, bouncing her long blonde hair off her shoulders.

"Ok, I guess. Selina-" She cut herself off before continuing. "Mom, said something about us going to Japan?" I nodded.

"Bruce thinks he knows some people there who would be able to help you." She gave me a sideways glance.

"Really?" I nodded again.

"Yeah." She let out a puff of hair then faced me.

"And what do you think about it, Grayson? Do you think it's going to help?" I was surprised.

"I mean, I don't really know. Selina doesn't seem to have any faith in it. Bruce seems... confident I guess. I don't know."

"Well, at least I'm not completely alone in cluelessness."