Chapter 20: Dangling from my wrist, was the silver bracelet with the cat charm

Catalina Kyle

"I can't believe he let us leave in the middle of class." Dick shrugged.

"It may have something to do with the fact I told him that we needed practice some more acrobatics for our paper." I raised an eyebrow.

"And he just bought that?" Dick grinned.

"We're leaving, aren't we?" I shook my head, smiling. I wrapped my leather jacket more tightly around my body and squinted down the street.

"You're related to a billionaire, why are we waiting for the bus?" I pouted. Dick looked down at me.

"You're the one who didn't want to walk. Are you cold? We could call for a car." I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"I can't. Mum and I share the app. She would know if I called for a car and that I'm skipping." Dick sighed and stuck his hands in his pockets.

"I could use my app, Catalina. Then you wouldn't get in trouble for skipping."

"Really? You're a lifesaver." Dick rolled his eyes and pulled out his phone.

"You literally got into a fight your first day of school and technically got detention on the second day. But you draw the line at skipping?" I sent him a sly grin.

"I clearly don't because I'm skipping right now." He shot me a look and put his phone away.

"They should be here in about five you, you rebellious cheater." I mock gasped and placed a hand on my chest.

"Moi? A cheater? What would ever give you that impression?" He rolled his eyes.
"I caught you cheating off my history test last week. I've just been holding onto the information in order to make you feel guilty." I grinned.

"Well, it didn't work as planned. I lack no conscious so I can't feel guilty." Dick sighed and shook his head.

"That explains so much." I bumped my shoulder against his arm.

"Oh, come on. You could have just said you'd seen me cheating. If you have a problem with it, I can find someone else to cheat off of." He looked down at me.

"I have a problem with you cheating. History is one of the easiest classes to pass." I frowned and uncrossed my arms to run my hands through my hair. I'd lost my headbang during our encounter with the Music Maker and I still hadn't found one to replace it.

"Says you. I muttered. Dick studied me.

"I could help you if you need help. Sooner or later, they'll catch you cheating and you get into trouble. I huffed.

"I get into more trouble than you probably know." Dick chuckled.

"I'll bet." We were quiet for a few moments. "I could help you study." I gave him a look.

"Seriously? I'm a horrible student. I can't study." Dick returned my look.

"Oh, please. Everyone can study. You just have to figure out how you study. It wouldn't even be that hard." I raised an eyebrow.

"Really, Grayson? Think about how well you know me before you just make the assumption it would be easy to help me." He smirked.

"I do know you. Which is what makes me brave for even offering to help you." I punched him in the shoulder and glared at him.

"You ass!" He laughed, rubbing his arm.

"Ok, ok! I take it back, I'm sorry." I huffed and shoved my hands into my pockets.

"You damn well better be sorry." He laughed again. We lapsed into silence. I was still a little pissed by his comment. I knew I was hot headed and hard to work with but I still didn't appearance when people pointed it out

"I was serious about the offer though, Catalina." I glanced up at him. He rubbed the back of his neck. "I mean, you're my friend and I want to see you do well. No matter how annoying you are." I chuckled.

"Thanks, babe." Dick froze. His eyes were wide and his body was tense. I frowned. "What? What's wrong?" He took a few more moments to respond.

"It's a little early for prom shopping, isn't it?" It felt like someone had dumped a bucket of ice water over my head. I felt the blood drain from my face. Dick slowly reached down and grabbed my hand. He held it up and pushed back the sleeve of my leather jacket. Dangling from my wrist, was the silver bracelet with the cat charm.